HPOP replacement info?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP replacement info??

well, my 03 E550 is STILL giving me major problems. SES light comes on, looses power etc..etc. Allegheny Ford seems to love throwing parts at it just to see if they stick...at MY expense..so far nothing works and the problem is getting more frequent and progressively worse. The one code that keeps showing up is the P1211. So far they've replaced the IPS, IPR (twice), PCM, EBP sensor to no avail.. I'm now considering replacing the HPOP and having the injectors either replaced or re O-ringed, which the 1211 code seems to lean toward. I need some solid, non-biased advice here. From what I can see, it seems that replacing the HPOP is/would be a fairly simple, though possibly a somewhat time-consuming proceedure. There is a special tool available online for removing the high pressure lines I can get for 30-35.00, rebuilt pumps are available for around 650.00, rebuilt injectors for around 120.00 each (plus core charges). Here's my quandry, since I'm only slightly mechanically inclined(I hate working on cars/trucks etc) would I be better off replacing the HPOP myself and putting the money saved on labor toward the labor of having the injectors replaced or O-ringed? And would it be better to have the injectors simply replaced rather than just re-ringed since basically the same amount of labor would be involved either way? This thing is my bread and butter and how I pay my bills and so far its cost me about as much as it's made me..Not a good ratio. I need to be able to trust this thing on long (or short) runs and as it is now, and has been, I can't trust it around the corner. Like I said, I need some solid advice here. I don't have a garage to put it in while working on it and it's COLD outside. Is replacing the HPOP a complicated proceedure? i.e. do I have to remove the fan, belts, front engine cover(s) etc..etc, or can this be done from the top side? Should I forego replacing it until after the injectors are replaced/O-ringed to see if that in itself actually fixes the problem? BTW, everytime the dealer test drives it, as per Murphy's Law, it runs perfectly. Based on your collective responses, I may just tell them to forget about codes, diagnostics etc and just DO it. Vehicle info...2003 E-550 cutaway w/20' box, 7.3/auto, 256k on the odo, but "supposedly" the engine, including new injectors, was replaced at 190k (do I believe them? yeh...right)
Thanks guys, will be eagerly awaiting your input here.

Last edited by howardtm; 02-03-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to here about your problem Howard, did you check for fuel pressure? I'd be tempted to do some tests on It before replacing the HPOP. That's a big chunk of change to be guessing about. I am not a tech, just a back yarder, so these are just the Questions that come to mind. Have you checked the regulator screen for black sludge, it could be it's not getting enough fuel through to run properly. Do you run a fuel additive in it regularly, if not you could have a algae build up in the tank, clogging the intake tube screen. As I say just some thoughts, this will bump the post up, maybe one of the techs will jump in and tell me to read more books hahahaha. Good Luck.

Gord.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Emergency Services

have you tried to clean out the boost tube that runs to the exhaust and put a new sensor in it? the sensor is on the front of the engine, on the left side of the fule filter. take the sensor out, then blow out the tube that is attached to the sensor. u should be able to hear the air coming out the exhaust. if it is plugged try and run something down it to break the build up loose. just my two cents. i'm not sure what the sensor costs, but just an idea. also did u check the cam sensor? just an idea from a dumb farm boy
Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Since this thing has been back and forth to the dealer, I would go in there, with a lawyer and see if they can figure it out. It looks like the techs at your dealer and just goofing around and not actually trying to diagnose the issue. I would go in, have them take all the new parts they replaced, put your old stock units back on and then get your $$$ back for the parts. (They are not likely to give you your $$$ back on the labor.) Take that $$$ and re-ring the injectors yourself and have a diesel mechanic (not a dealer) look into the HPOP. You've spent too much $$$ at the dealer. I'd be in there with an AK47 on the 2nd trip to the dealer when the truck had the exact same problems. (I'd bet that if your truck was under warranty it would have been fixed right the first time, without extra parts being thrown at it!)
Old 02-10-2007, 04:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks guys. The EBP sensor was replaced last visit, along with cleaning the feed tube, the CPS was another part replaced without being bad. I took it back to them the other day with a list of things to check. While returning from a run to NC the other day(in my car, not the truck), I think I had a major epifany, perhaps from the Great and Almighty Diesel God, in that perhaps...just perhaps, this recurring, seemingly unfixable problem I've had stems from an intermittent electrical problem, ie either a frayed, corroded or shorting connector/wire(s) going to the IPR. I called a tech at Shultz Ford and he said that that would have been very high on his list of things to check first. It would seem to me, since all else has seemed to NOT be the problem, that if the signals/instructions were somehow corrupted after being sent by the PCM, (which it too was just replaced as being the "problem") that the IPR would operate according to those "instructions" and perform accordingly and would allow the pressures required to fire the injectors when it was needed. As for the the HPOP, it's my, again simplistic, belief that if the HPOP, or any of the various O-Rings were leaking, they'd leak ALL the time, under all conditions???. of course, this problem has rapidly gotten worse, and yet, sometimes it will leave me at a dead, gutless stop in the middle of the road while the last time I was at least able to get it back home (about 50 miles) without it losing power completely, and on back to Allegheny Ford (whom, I might add, admitted that they never checked the electrical aspect). One thing Tracy did say, and I need some EXPERT advice here, that there "could" be a problem with the PCM relay, which appears to feed power to the IPR, Bob (his co-hort) says no..that can't be because it provides the 12v power to the PCM as well and if it was bad, or going bad, the PCM wouldn't power up. As of yesterday afternoon (friday 2/9/07) they still haven't gotten it inside to take a look at it. I think I'm gonna be needing a miracle here cause I'm fast running out of money to pay for repairs that don't fix the problem. If any Pro out there can /will let me know about this latest idea, including the possibility of the PCM relay going bad, I would be eternally grateful.
Thanks
Howard (disappointed PSD owner)

Last edited by howardtm; 02-10-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Wish I could give you the advice you need Howard, but I don't know enough about that to help you out, so hopefully one of the tech guys will be along to help you out. Good luck.

Gord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.