6.0 Rough Cold Start And Idle In Drive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Rough Cold Start And Idle In Drive

Ok, I am very sorry but I have been searching and reading all posts I could find on rough idle and cold starts and all that stuff, but my problem seems to be a little different than EGR (Which I have unplugged, no fix & cleaned, no fix) and tested glo plug wires (tested amps on the bundle of wire, found no major difference of amperage).
So, My Problem Is: The 2004 6.0 starts from a "cold start" (coldest is 65 F overnight, I have owned this for 2 weeks) and the engine starts fine, idles fine, put into gear it feels like it misses, take it out of gear it sometimes straightens up, but if you put it back into gear it just "puts" along and shakes the whole truck, if you give it slight pedal it shakes more, and severely lacks power. After a short highway drive it runs fine, for the rest of the day, off and restarted.

It has 119K Miles on it, just changed both filters, ran lucas fuel treatment, changed air filter element, and read codes with a generic code reader, and it was clean.

Help!

Thanks
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's something about a cold start reflash floating around here, I think that may help. But maybe atech will spot ur thread and chime in.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Man, this is quick help.

Do I have to pay ford to reflash or is it a warranty/recall thing?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM

well, youre over your warranty, it's up at 5 years or 100k on the ometer, so you'd have to pay. i'm not too keen on the 6.0's but i've seen lots of posts with similar problems being a refalsh fix, so keep bumping your thread up until a tech chimes in. they'll have a green username. good luck bud, let me know if i can help out
Old 06-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am going to go by ford later today, thanks!
If anyone has other ideas please let me know.

Just happens I am selling my 7.3 today, maybe I should keep it and sell this 6.Zero!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well this is quite interresting, but when its warm no one can tell anything, the tuck tests and runs fine.

Can anyone tell me if I should see a lag of about 2-3 seconds before anything happens when I punch the gas? In my 7.3L there was turbo lag, but almost unnoticeable, this truck (04 Excursion)seems to have fair ammount, my friend with a 04 6.0 f-250 seems to have less than my old 7.3 had.

Just trying to trouble shoot, thanks for the help!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:00 PM

you should have less lag due to the variable vanes in the turbo than your 7.3. I know sometimes the vanes get choked with carbon and don't perform as well, but i'm not sure how to clean it. we always replaced them at work, never fixed em. Did you ask them about the cold start reflash?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 PM

all of the problems sound like the trubo is getting stuck. you should try to pull it off and cleant it all and put anti sezz on it. had an 04 doing the same at work and cleand the trubo and all the probles were solved. good luck buddy.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can pull off the turbo and clean, Carb Cleaner? Like the EGR?
And as for the turbo, I would think the turbo sound would be a solid sound if the vanes stuck, and would there be a code?
I do want to note I have no black smoke, but sooty exhaust, like the 7.3l did, not excessive.... I dont think.

Thanks Tons!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You could run a BG Fuel/Air Induction Service. Depends on where you are, but the link provided has locations of where you can do it and it will help free up air flow. Probably good to do since you're over 100k. The 6.0's, especially early 6.'s start being stubborn in and after 95k. I just got mine not too long ago, but have been around them for 6-7 years with friends and the 03-04's are plagued with Air and Fuel induction issues.

BG Findashop - Fuel/Air Induction Service

It ran me about $340 after tax and a full syntho oil change. Read up about it on the forum, this service has been talked about for a while now. Here's the link to that too:

Fords new carbon cleaning process???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.