6.0 Turbbo intercooler hose blows off. Please help!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Turbbo intercooler hose blows off. Please help!!!

Wow, this really happens to alot of people. Why hasn't Ford fixed this??? I own a 2004 Diesel F-250 4X4 FX4 Crew Cab. I bought it brand new in April of 2004 and it has been nothing but problems. I haul a 26' Weekend Warrior Toy Hualer with Quads. I specifically bought this truck so it would be overkill and I would never have to worry about things like this. It has been the complete opposite. Among other things, I've gone through many sensors, a blown head gasket, a bad oil or fuel cooler, and the turbo intercooler hoses (both top and bottom) have blown off so many times, i really couldn't say how many. I hadn't had a problem since last fall (maybe because I didn't tow my trailer at all) so I decided to go to Lake Shasta this last weekend and on the way home I blew the hose 5 times!!! I'm not even exageratting. I didn't get home until Midnight. What a crappy way to top off an otherwise great weekend with the wife and kids. It's gotten so bad that I won't go anywhere with the toy hauler unless someone follows me up so I don't get stranded out in the middle of who knows where. I need to know if this can be fixed with an after market intake. Has anyone had any success with aftermarket anything. Also it's strange that as many times as I've had the truck in the shop, they've never replaced the hose with the updated orange hoses. It must be because I'm in California and we all know that if something works, we can't have it in CA. It must be bad for the enviroment. LOL!!! Sometimes I hate living here. No guns, no 2 strokes, no nothing except a bunch of rejects that no one else will take. Anyway back to my dilema. Please, one of your tech savvy dudes please point me in the right direction. My wife was so pissed off, she actually gave me the green light to buy a new truck. But how do I know this won't be a problem with a new truck. I feel like I threw away $45K when I bought this truck because I have no confidence that I'll make to where I need to when towing the toy hauler. That's a really crappy feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

get a 95 extended cab long bed leveled with 35s, 4.10s completely stock. you can hold it to the wood every where you go. my dad has a 95 and tows the crap out of his 36ft Nitrous like its not even there. fully loaded at 14k. lol. it tows better than my 01.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for advise. With all the problems, somebody has to have come up with a fix for this. It sounds like there's enough money to be made for someone to really think this through and fix it. At this point, I'd pay to fix it so I had the piece of mind that I'm not going to be stuck on the side of the freeway wondering if someone's going to slam into me while I fix it. I actually carry a ratchet with a 7/8 deep socket and brake cleaner just so I can fix it when it happens. I found that once it blows, it's garbage. It has to be positioned perfectly and torqued just right or it's history. I've even had the lower hose blow off. I haven't read where this is a problem. I may be the only one this has happened too. Maybe I'm just towing too much. I highly doubt it.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:28 PM

try double clamping it.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:40 PM

and use some aqua net on the tubes before slipping the boot on. you may need to get aftermarket boots. they are longer so you can double clamp. I had to double clamp my passenger side CAC boot.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just clean it real good and tighten the heck out of it. Ive only had them blow off a couple times but that was right after they were removed for some reason and the only thing i did was simply tighten it up more. U could also spray hair spray on the tube before you slip the boot over to make it sticky. Theres no reason they should be blowing off that much
Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have heard of guy's drilling and installing a couple of sheet metal screws in the tubes. Then reinstalling the boots over them and tighting the @$#% out of the clamps. Make sure the clamp is on the back side of the screw heads.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

once the boot blows off , reinstalling it will do no good , and there very well could be a reason why its blowing off , a sticking turbo will cause overboost and will cause boots to blow off , need to get it checked out , as far as ford fixing the problem, the truck with no problems shouldnt blow it off , i'd bet you have a cause to this concern
Old 05-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Rice Hunter

I'd trust Scott's theory!! I have had mine blow off once. Cleaned the oil residue off tube and cooler and tightened the crap out of it with socket PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Wish ya luck!!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me out. Ford replaced the turbo last year. The mechanic said it never stuck for him, so he replaced just in case. How likely is it that I could have two turbo's with sticky vains? Who makes the aftermarket hoses that are longer? I think double clamping them would certainly help. I heard the orange hoses are less likley to soak up oil. If I called Banks, I wonder if they know what to do. Does anyone know a reputable aftermarket shop that could solve this problem and not try to sell me a $5K exhaust system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.