Newbee to Diesels: Frustrated with Cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbee to Diesels: Frustrated with Cold

Hello Forum!

I stumbled onto this very informative site resulting from a frantic search for answers to my 2001 F-350 7.3L. I am new to the diesel world and have a novice (at best) mechanical ability, especially with diesels.

Currently, I am going thru my first winter with this truck. It has 140K miles. Last Saturday, during a 9 degree day, the truck stranded me. After a tow home and putting it in the garage and heat. The truck started. Imagine how pleased I was. However, shortly after starting and running for 2 minutes. It stalled again...and it would not start.

Having no experience with this type of engine, I called a good friend who had a 7.3L. His first suggestion was to purchase a new fuel filter, get a bottle of anti-gelling juice, mix a 50/50 solution of the juice in the fuel resevoir, heat 'er up real good, and all should be good. I also added some the "juice" to the fuel tank.

This whole gelling of fuel thing seemed logical to me, yet the anticdote has not resolved the problem. I'd say approximately 15 gallons of fuel is in the tank.

For your consideration, I was forced to by a small amount of fuel away from my normal purchase point. Probably 10 to 12 gallons to get me to my normal fueling location.

After reading through several responses on your forum, I have been educated on several topics and I am asking for the assistance of fellow strokers as how to proceed...

Of particular interest, was a post on CPS's (Cam Position Sensors), Fuel Pumps (in the tank I suppose), and/or a batch of bad fuel.

I am not getting any water in fuel indications. I have replaced the fuel filter twice, and the truck has been garaged, plugged in, and kept relatively warm (55 degrees) and I can't get her to fire up...which I was able to do initially with stalls, but she isn't firing at all now.

I am hopeful that this forum could help out this newbee and give me a few pointers on how to proceed with pleasing results.

Thanks,
Michigan_Stroker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
First off welcome to the site. Secondly what part of Michigan are you from. If you are close to me maybe we can hook up and I can go over your truck and help you out with this problem as it maybe more then one thing. Or we can hook up and just simply go over your truck and let me educate you some face to face. I live in Michigan as well and Michigan winters can be hard on our trucks. By what your discribing in your post sounds like it could be the CPS or a fuel problem.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have always been in the habit of doing oil/filters changes when i get a vehicle that is new to me. i do this bcuz i don't know how long it has been since those were done.
in regards to not starting/stalling:
1. our engines use engine oil at high pressure to operate the fuel injectors. bad oil might result in low performance by your engine or stalling.
2. diesel engines use heat and compression to burn the fuel. the colder the weather, the harder it is to start and more likely to stall.
3. the only the computer knows that the engine is even turning is thru that cam sensor. if it's bad or loose, that would result in rough idling or stalling.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org

I can't offer advice on your starting problem beyond what you have already tried, but rest assured, your message will soon be read by those who can, and you will get very good advice and hopefully a simple answer to your problem.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow! Thanks already for the quick responses. I am in Hemlock, Michigan...about 1-1/2 hours north of Detroit.

I am currently going back and forth between the computer and the garage...and I am contemplating dropping the fuel tank to see whether there may be sludge in the tank.

I changed the oil upon purchase. It was the first thing I had done.

I would be more than happy to entertain the educational offer suggested by the fellow Michigananian. Am I close to you?

Kevin
Old 01-28-2007, 08:48 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Stroker View Post
Wow! Thanks already for the quick responses. I am in Hemlock, Michigan...about 1-1/2 hours north of Detroit.

I am currently going back and forth between the computer and the garage...and I am contemplating dropping the fuel tank to see whether there may be sludge in the tank.

I changed the oil upon purchase. It was the first thing I had done.

I would be more than happy to entertain the educational offer suggested by the fellow Michigananian. Am I close to you?

Kevin
Yer about 2 hours from me but I am always up for a little road trip. I live about 30 minutes east of Ann Arbor, By the way I am trying to arrange a Michigan Meet and Greet. shoot me a pm and we'll see if we can arrange a meeting so I may educate you some.

Last edited by Clay Henry; 01-28-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bigcountrysg,

I sent an email to your account based on the information available thru this site.

Thanks! Looking forward to a reply on how me might proceed.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org Kevin! I see you've already met some of the guys.
Enjoy the site!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:12 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Stroker View Post
Bigcountrysg,

I sent an email to your account based on the information available thru this site.

Thanks! Looking forward to a reply on how me might proceed.

Hey I wished you would have pmed me rather then email me. As I won't get the email until I get home from work. By the way it looks on the map, your about 1.5 hours from me. As you are up by Saginaw. If I go straight up US.23 I could be at your house in about 2 hours.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, I am still figuring out all the capabilities of the site. Let me try to figure this out (the PM).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.