01 7.3 starts and dies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 starts and dies

My 01 7.3 has an intermittnet problem. Glow plugs working fine it starts right up and runs for a few seconds and then occasionally.... it will die and wont restart. I have noticed that the oil pressure dosent come up when this happens... This is not an everyday thing and once I start it once in the morning its fine the rest of the day. Outside temperature seems to make no difference. It may do this 2 times a week or not do it for 3 weeks. I have noticed if after a few seconds the gauge dosent come up I can give it a quick rap on the throttle and it comes up and is fine. I dont want to keep doing that on a motor with no oil pressure. A couple of times I have had to give it a small shot of start fluid and then its fine. Its obviously to do with the injectors not firing as there is no fuel smoke or smell when this happens and you can hear the sound of the engine change as soon as the oil gauge comes up.Changing the oil also has no effect. I am going camping next month on a 2000 mile trip and dont want this thing leaving me somwhere.HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BUMP!!!!! Anybody... ideas???
Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I really have no idea, but I did want to remind you of the problems with the wiring harness under the valve covers. I took the driver's side off a few weeks ago when mine had to be towed. I can't believe how much better it runs now that I snugged up the connection. It seems to have improved my fuel economy too.

PM Scuffy828 and tell him about it. I'll bet he can help you. Good luck!
(That's his truck on our home page!)
Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

the biggest thing that i see cause this concern is low oil level, or badquality of oil, change the oil and filter if its time and see what that does first ,i have also seen the base oil pumps get worn and not refill reservoir back quick enough , but fresh oil will probably fix your problem, just for the record , the engine is getting lubed on the bottom side , is not hurting your engine , the oil sending unit is mounted on the reservoir , its like the last thing to sense the pressure build up
Old 05-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply but like I stated changing the oil has no effect at all. I use Rotella 15w40 with a quart of lucas synthetic every 5000 on the dot. the truck uses no oil between changes. Its pretty annoying seeing as how theres no telling when it is going to do it.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummondracing View Post
Thanks for the reply but like I stated changing the oil has no effect at all. I use Rotella 15w40 with a quart of lucas synthetic every 5000 on the dot. the truck uses no oil between changes. Its pretty annoying seeing as how telling when it is going to do it.
then you may have a regulator sticking in the oil filter adaptor , or the base oil pump is something to look into , when it does it the high pressure oil reservoir is draining down , and not refilling fast enough, thats why it starts and then shuts off , when it does it and you rev on it , that makes the base engine oil pump spin faster and prime faster , the only other thing i can say that ive seen is a cracked pick up tube in the pan or the o-ring around the pick up tube is sucking air , diagnostic procedure for the pickup in the pan is to overfill by 2-3 quarts of oil , jack the rear of the truck up so the oil runs to the front of the pan and see if it does it then , bs process but that will tell you if its suckin air around the o-ring
Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Funny you mention about "jacking the truck up' It may be coincedence but it kinda seems that when I park with the front of the truck higher than the rear is seems to do it more.... My driveway is on a slight incline and when I pull in head first with the nose up it seems to act up.. If I back in well.... I may be going crazy as well....
Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummondracing View Post
Funny you mention about "jacking the truck up' It may be coincedence but it kinda seems that when I park with the front of the truck higher than the rear is seems to do it more.... My driveway is on a slight incline and when I pull in head first with the nose up it seems to act up.. If I back in well.... I may be going crazy as well....
try and make it do it first, and see if that is the pattern and then you may be onto something , if that is the case then , i would just overfill the engine a little and go on my trip
Old 05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

There you go! I knew Scott could help. You know everything Scott!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the advice. Like I said one I start it once its fine the rest of the day and the gauge never fluctuates so what do you reccomend as far as "over filling" 2 or 3 quarts. Thanks again for the help,David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.