7.3 Ford Diesel struck by lightning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Ford Diesel struck by lightning

Hit by lightning last night. Driving through really bad storm. Felt a jolt, bright in cab, then a few seconds later check engine light came on, then miss fireing. When I came to stop at light 10 min later engine cut off. It started back up, I went about a mile down the road, pulled over, cut truck off, checked fluids, started back up, check engine light off and after driving again for a few seconds it came back on. The engine started missing again. Took it to Advance to check codes and the code reader would not register that it was plugged into truck. Kept saying "plug into vehicle to run test". Tried cleaning terminals and re-plugging code reader and it kept saying the same thing. I noticed air bag Off light came on. Other than that everything else seemed fine. Anyone had any experience with this or has any idea what the damage might be? Will insurance help pay for damage? or am I SCREWED!! Help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

wow man I have no answers for ya but I have to say thats one of the coolest things ive ever heard! hahaha Good luck explaining that to your insurance company.....Hope everything works out for ya though. that sucks
Old 05-17-2009, 01:51 PM

never had experience with this, but advanced auto and and places like that dont read our trucks, they can only erase codes. sounds like you have some fried wires. You have to get an obII code reader on your truck. sorry about your luck bud. i think dealerships charge $75 to read codes but not sure.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked again with the advance I took the truck to and they confirmed that their code reader the OBD2 would read the codes... So I'm kind of confused about that? The truck is still sitting there because I could not drive it 35 miles home. I need to check it out further today. At least it is not raining...
Old 05-17-2009, 02:18 PM

it will plug in and "read" but you they have CHEAP junk readers that wont tell you anything. sorry about your luck bud but you need to take it to a dealership or a friend with a real reader. You could also start looking for fried wires on your truck. trust me though. advanced auto scanner= junk and wont work on our powerstrokes.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 PM

Check the fuse for the OBD2 link. If it is the same as my mustang, it will be the same fuse as the cig lighter. It may be fried. Does your cig lighter or power point work? The owners manual will tell you which fuse. If it did blow that fuse, you may have computer damage.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM

I worked in a service dept at the local dealership for a lil while once. We had an explorer come in once that was hit by lightning. Hit it on the antenna. It wasn't running when it was brought in, after replacing EVERY single module and computer in the thing, still nothing.... it fried like the entire wire harness. Yours doesn't saound NEARLY as bad but, I would Definitely take it to a dealer... keep us posted
Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Emergency Services

WOW, that sucks, hope its nothing like loosing a chassis ground, you could be replacing alot of parts. your ins. co. should cover it if its full coverage, good luck.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_nitrous View Post
Check the fuse for the OBD2 link. If it is the same as my mustang, it will be the same fuse as the cig lighter. It may be fried. Does your cig lighter or power point work? The owners manual will tell you which fuse. If it did blow that fuse, you may have computer damage.
^^^ What he said. I think the OBD port not working is a coincidence. Check your power point/cig lighter for power, I bet you won't find any. Once you get the fuse replaced, then go get the codes read. The Advance Auto parts reader might not be great, but it will at least give you memory codes.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

your gonna have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. I don't know if your insurance will cover an "act of god" or not good luck. More than likely several of the modules are damaged along with some of the wiring. keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.