First post, First PSD, First NO START!!! Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First post, First PSD, First NO START!!! Help!

Hello everyone! New to the forums here, but have been reading them for a little while in preparation for my first powerstroke purchase. I'm pretty good mechanically with gas engines, but this is my first diesel. I bought this 1999 F350 powerstroke about a month ago. It has 180,000 miles on it and runs pretty well. Starts right up(i live in san diego, so cold is never a problem), seems to have good power, and idles smoothly.

All was well until a couple of nights ago when I was driving home from work. I was driving normally, engine was warmed up, and I came to a stop light. I noticed the engine started sputtering and bucking as if I was running out of gas. It was progressively getting worse as I was waiting for the light to turn green. I slowly accelerated away from the light(engine was down on power and still sputtering), and the engine just died on me. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to re-start the engine. Cranks well, engine turns over just fine, truck fires up but is violently bucking and stuttering. I shut the engine off, wait a minute, cycle the key several times to prime the fuel system, and try again. The engine starts but sounds like it is only running on half of it's cylinders. It seems to fire 2 or 3 cylinders and then waits 1/4 of a second and then fires the cylinders again. It ran like this for about 10 seconds and then died. I looked under the hood, wiggling all electrical connections, and checking all fuses(under dash too). I check fuel shut-off valve inside the cab, and it's good. Unscrew fuel filter and the fuel bowl is full of fuel. I know the diesel is good because I've been driving on the same tank for two weeks. Fuel filter is good, I just changed it last week along with top end and bottom end oil, air filter. Put diesel additive in the tank, and engine treatment in the crankcase. It might be useful to note that I noticed a good amount of sediment in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl, probably rust due to previous owner not draining the water with that valve on the back. I also can hear the fuel pump on the frame rail whining when I key the ignition on, so I know it is working.

So..........I tow it to my house and check the forums here for ideas. I hear alot of people with my symptoms have had a problem with their UVCH coming loose. I am checking that first. Checked under the drivers side valve cover first, connector was tight, and looked good. I will check the passenger side tomorrow. Can anyone suggest a proper course of action for isolating my problem? I'm just taking stabs at things right now, and could use some help. I'm reading alot about IPRs, IPCs, CPSs, etc. You guys love your acronyms!! Unfortunately, I don't have a solid grasp on what any of these sensors/regulators do, or how to check them.

P.S.: The check engine light is NOT on. I don't have access to a code reader either(unless someone in san diego wants to make a new friend!)...so I gotta diagnose this thing without the aid of computer diagnostics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Welcome to the ORG! I will not even hazard a guess cause I have no clue, butthere are several Ford techs and at least one Ford Master tech and abunch of guys who could pass for Ford Master techs. One will be by momentarely to help you out.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The wife or girlfriend didn't fill it with gas by mistake? Check the fuel pressure. If fuel pressure is OK. Check HPO pressure. Injector buzz test, but you needed a scanner for that.

Anysmoke when it is cranking? CPS is a cheap part to throw at it.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, took passenger valve cover off today and re-seated the UVCH. It looked a little loose, definately worse than the driver's side. I tried to start the truck and it ran rough for a little bit, then smoothed out, then rough again and died. I tried starting a few more times and it sounded like it was starving for fuel. Then I realized that I was parked on a really steep driveway.... I added about 5 gallons of diesel from a can i had laying around, and after working the air out of the system, the truck started right up again and now it runs just fine. Thanks so much for all your help, now I am determined to go through this truck from fuel tank to exhaust, and make sure everything is in order. Replacing/rebuilding all the critical items as I go, I hope to make this truck as reliable as it should be. I have a feeling you'll be seeing alot more of me here on the forums, thanks again for the help!

One final question: Several people have told me that you never want to run a tank empty in a diesel. Do you think starting it on the steep driveway and getting all that air into the fuel system did any damage? I should also mention that the check engine light is now on....I only have a regular OBD II code reader and it wasn't able to pull any codes. How do I reset the SES light? Disconnect battery? Cycle key several times? Drive it for a while? Professional reset?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.