7.3 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 problems

99 f250 7.3 6 speed. It has a rough idle and has a hesitation in the low rpm (pulling out) ETC, once it picks up a little rpmís itís fine. It has not kicked the check engine light. It seems like maybe a fuel problem but I changer the filter and it looked good. Someone told me it may be the vacuum on the waste gate? Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

See you made it over here from Jeepinwv, give it a lil time and the 7.3 guys will help you out!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM

same kinda problems

K9Guy.... you find anything out? I've been having similar prob's on my 01 f350. just replace 2 new injectors and had the computer reflashed, with not much luck. It seems to run a bit better when it's warmed up a bit...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:22 PM

problems

I will know soon. I take it to the shop on Tuesday 5-26-09. I will keep you posted. I belive its the ICP sensor.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM

still a problem

I put it in the shop today at the local ford dealership and $430.99 later they called and said it was ready. He told me it was an exhaust back pressure sensor and the tube for it. So I go pick it up and as soon as it hets warm oh yeah right back to the same crap. MAd as hell I called back and he tells me that I had a code on computer that would not clear and it had something to do with the injection system. So I asked " what does that mean" " oh that your computer is bad. So now I have money invested in someting that may not have been bad and not I need a computer. So I guess I will trouble shoot that now and buy a computer,clearly the machines they have just tell them to replace parts untill it runs better. Again I will keep you posted.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 PM

k9guy, I feel your pain bud. Going to the Ford Stealer can suck extra too... Be weary, I know these things are always different, and I haven't gotten back to find out what my deal is yet... but here's the story, so maybe you'll get some guarantee from them before you buy a new ECM.

My engine was running rough... similar to yours. Slight stumble at idle, jumpy and crappy at lower RPM's and when steady at 1500ish... if I punch it, it'll hesitate the go balls out and run good... if I'm cruising on the highway at 2000 RPM, it runs good.

So... it got scanned and showed 6 and 8 injectors were bad... so I had them rebuilt. But before that, we changed the oil and filter and it cleared up for a day or two, ran like a dream... have no clue why? New injectors, fuel filter and it ran better, but not perfect.... he scanned it again, couldn't figure it out.

We swapped the ECM with a unit he had that had been pulled from another truck... it had a 100hp reflash done to it.... bam the truck ran like tits... it spun 36 inch tires on dry pavement and chirped them going into second... big smiles on my face. My truck ran like a dream for another day.... and has progressively gotten worse since.

So, this swap and pray stuff can get spendy. I'm thinking I may have a harness/wiring prob... maybe air leak in the fuel system... hpop.... I've been researching and not sure what to think.... guess my point is, it maybe something else throwing the computer off and maybe you can find someone to reflash it or swap one out to test the mechanics theory... you'd think the ford stealership would do that before they clipped you for a new one...

Good luck with your woes k9guy....
Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 PM

injectors

Back in the shop today, they claim that they got the code to clear. Now they say it has three bad injectors. the local dealership wants $1475 for three injectors and labor. I feel like they are trouble shooting on my dime.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:06 PM

buddy,
that's pretty rough, I paid, 180 per injector rebuilt and 125 labor for installation. my shop is owned by a ford master tech that went out on his own and specializes in Powerstrokes. You can buy new injectors for 237.
Honestly, I would have someone else run a buzz test on them, it would really suck to replace your injectors and not fix the prob... even if they are bad. I would have rather spent the money fixing whatever is wrong with my truck and then buy a full set of rebuilts down the road.
Good luck....
Old 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM

there is no excuse for being charged for repairs that are unrelated to the original complaint. Ask to see all parts replaced. The dealer should be eating some of the unwarranted costs. Talk to the service manager first and work your way up. Even if you have to go to the bureau of automotive repair. Even to small claims. I would think they would eat the labor and you just pay for the parts at there cost for the repairs that are not fixing the complaint.

At 100 dollars a hour they had better have there troubleshooting skills down pat. Like every other dealer micro manage counting beans for the month. Get one good tech and have several below average techs for half the pay but still the same labor rate.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM

by the way, the waste gate operates off boost pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.