2000 7.3 died and will not restart....please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 died and will not restart....please help

I was driving the truck to work and it just shut down as if it ran out of fuel (7/8 of a tank in there) and I have not been able to get it to fire up again. Luckily I got my boss to tow me the rest of the way to work with his F-250 so I was able to save a little face at least.

The truck is a 6sp manual and while I was being towed I tried to bump start it but no luck. I ran the trans in 3rd gear so the RPM was near 1500 or so. When I depressed the throttle it would buck a bit and gain some slack in the tow rope but would immediately fall on it's face again. When cranking it sounds like only one cylinder is trying to fire.

I have not had the CPS sensor replaced yet but the tach is working so that makes me think it's not the cause. I have searched and tried most of the ideas but I'm unsure where to find the common loose connectors. There is fuel in the bowl, I drained it and as soon as I turned the key it filled up completely so fuel is making it that far at least. I'm not sure where to tap in for a pressure guage so that has not been confirmed yet.

I also have not checked the water separator (not sure where that is either) so that is a possibility.

I want to tow the truck in gear some more and see if there is air trapped somehow, I don't want to abuse my starter.

Thank you in advance.

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check the cam position sensor if you haven't changed it yet, known problem about $25 fix also recall by Ford if original.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM

How's the oil?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 AM

Tach works and oil is at the top of the operating range.

If the tach works that means the cam sensor is good right?

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Rob
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob'Z View Post
Tach works and oil is at the top of the operating range.

If the tach works that means the cam sensor is good right?

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Rob
tach movement = good CPS
it also means fuse #22 is good
Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not always that cps will do different things if bad, I seen it make the die and not restart, also die and only restart and only idle, and on mine when it went out it would die while driving and restart before stopping, so if it hasn't been changed it is an easy change and fairly cheep, and if you can get it to a dealership it could be replaced under the recall if it hasn't been changed before.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Fuel water seperator and your fuel filter is on top of the engine. The valve is on the back at the bottom of the fuel filter canister.

Check fuze #40 or 44, it is the fuse for the pump. Interia switch is on the passenger side behind the kick panel under the dashboard. Check to see if it is tripped.

Check to see if you have power at the fuel pump. Fuel pump relay is under the hood.

You may have to drop the tank and clean the pick up assembly in the tank. There are two fuel screens in the mixing chamber as it is called. It is a white canister attached to the fuel pick up assembly.

The fuel pump is on the driverside framerail basically under the driverside front door.

Remove fuel filter then turn key on see if the fuel filter canister is filling up with fuel. If so then your getting fuel.

Check fuel pressure, to see if it is sufficient.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM

I emptied the fuel bowl and the turned the key to ON and it filled immediately so I should have no issues up to that point in the chain. Only thing I can think of is trying to drain the bowl again, disconnecting the battery for awhile to reset the ECU and replacing the CPS. I'll let you know what happens guys, thanks again.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.