Still having Charging/battery probs!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still having Charging/battery probs!!!

I have had some pretty serious problems with my charging system. I have replaced the batteries. I have had about 9 alternators on this thing. The regualtor would go bad in anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. I had put an advance auto parts alternator in it. But after Scott worked on it, he put a Motorcraft one on it hoping to resolve this issues.

I have had the truck since Tuesday, and all seemed well. I checked the alt yesterday, and it was putting out 13.6 volts. I checked the batteris and they were holding charge at 13.2 volts.

I checked the truck today, and the batteries were down to 11.58 V each.

Somewhere I am getting a drain. I dont know how to check this. I am pulling 0.0 amps DC when i put my clamp meter(fluke) on the positive batt cable, and on the Pos. alt. wire. so, where is my starting point?

Could it be the batteries have a bad cell, and its draining the entire system? Thanks guys. I am goin to Charlotte this Saturday for PINKS, and I dont wanna end up over there and not being able to drive home cause of dead batteries!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

My brother had an OBS truck and his ground was no good. Alternators kept ckecking bad, and he kept replacing. Then a Ford Tech friend of my dads told him to get a good thick wire, like 8 or 10 gauge and ground the batteries to a good place on the frame, and his troubles went away. He got to where he was hauling a jump box with him every where he went. After he put a good ground on it, he never had another issue with it. It's worth a shot.

Last edited by 06F250FX4; 04-19-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
I have had some pretty serious problems with my charging system. I have replaced the batteries. I have had about 9 alternators on this thing. The regualtor would go bad in anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. I had put an advance auto parts alternator in it. But after Scott worked on it, he put a Motorcraft one on it hoping to resolve this issues.

I have had the truck since Tuesday, and all seemed well. I checked the alt yesterday, and it was putting out 13.6 volts. I checked the batteris and they were holding charge at 13.2 volts.

I checked the truck today, and the batteries were down to 11.58 V each.

Somewhere I am getting a drain. I dont know how to check this. I am pulling 0.0 amps DC when i put my clamp meter(fluke) on the positive batt cable, and on the Pos. alt. wire. so, where is my starting point?

Could it be the batteries have a bad cell, and its draining the entire system? Thanks guys. I am goin to Charlotte this Saturday for PINKS, and I dont wanna end up over there and not being able to drive home cause of dead batteries!!!!
Have your batteries tested
Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Can they test them on a full charge?

Also, where did the ground wire go from on the alt? Like where was the point?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC SuperTech View Post
Can they test them on a full charge?

Also, where did the ground wire go from on the alt? Like where was the point?
Yes they can
Old 04-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what kind of gauges do you have? Do they have a memory? My buddy with a cummins has a kind with a memory (dont remember what brand) but they were making it difficult to start the truck every morning due to low power.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I seriously doubt that a clamp meter is sensitive enough to measure the small amount of current that could be draining your batteries. You might try in inline ammeter. I believe that the key value of normal drain current is 50 to 75 milliamperes (.050-.010)

Its easy to check the condition of the individual cells with a hydrometer...if you can open the caps (some zero maintenance batteries have caps)A hydrometer is available from walmarts for like 2 bucks.

The most common method of isolation is to first ,establish a repeatable fault (the drain).then removeing one fuse at a time, to see if the fault will go away.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:01 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinj427 View Post
what kind of gauges do you have? Do they have a memory? My buddy with a cummins has a kind with a memory (dont remember what brand) but they were making it difficult to start the truck every morning due to low power.
I have just regular Stewart Warner and autometer guages. nothing special

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnecsteve View Post
I seriously doubt that a clamp meter is sensitive enough to measure the small amount of current that could be draining your batteries. You might try in inline ammeter. I believe that the key value of normal drain current is 50 to 75 milliamperes (.050-.010)

Its easy to check the condition of the individual cells with a hydrometer...if you can open the caps (some zero maintenance batteries have caps)A hydrometer is available from walmarts for like 2 bucks.

The most common method of isolation is to first ,establish a repeatable fault (the drain).then removeing one fuse at a time, to see if the fault will go away.
I know I have a drain. I just dont know if its because of a dead cell in the battery, or if its something electrical. If I find out its electrical, do I pull one fuse at a time and wait till the next morning to see if I have a drain from the previous night? that would take like a month! Literally.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F250FX4 View Post
like 8 or 10 gauge
You make a good point, these alternators can just burn up anything that is less then 10 gauge, we even used 12 gauge on an charging system once.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Actually, 12 gauge is smaller than 10 or 8 gauge when it comes to wire. Just sent my dad a message about the issue, and he said they run a length of 10 gauge wire from the the battery to the frame. They took some scotch brite and WD40 and cleaned away the hot wax undercoating on the frame around a hole that was already there and run a bolted the wire there and it cured my brothers problems. My dad tried to track electrical issue with that truck for 2 months, changed out 4 alternators, and 2 sets of batteries and couldn't get it to stop draining. Run another ground off the batteries and my brother put the jump box back in the garage for good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.