turbo toast or problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
turbo toast or problem

Was driving this evening and heard a tink noise and an then a ticktick so I pulled off to see what it was. Couldn't hear anything. So just kinda limped it home. got on it just a bit to check things out. my turbo is making a different that normal sound almost like a woooo sound upon accel and decel. And now every so often i can hear the tick what is going on? No higher egts, still can make 25+ pds of boost but the woo gets louder. Any ideas. Thanks guys. 2002 7.3 auto 80,000 miles

i checked all my up pipes. and made sure all my air intake tubing to intake side of turbo was tight. then i removed the intake piping and the compressor wheel looks fine. no damage at all spins freely am waiting for it to cool down to check for any play side to side and back and forth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check it out and report back....from the question you posted in the GT38R noise thread I started just to make sure all was good on my rig, it sounds like your turbo is on it's way out. It sounds like the side to side or end play on the turbo will be bad. If it's not, let us know and I guess we will go from there.
-Aaron
Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i have no end play but i do have side to side. that could explain the grinding sound as thats where its coming from. i just dont understand what the wooing noise is. mine gets crazy in higher rpms almost like a hollow sound along with the woo like if someone was blowing into the top of a big jug. im gonna try to get a video of it to describe it cause i cant really find any way to descibe it better. i am probabally going to send it out to itp to be cleaned,disasembled, rebuilt with new bearings and everything prolly have them install a wicked wheel and then put it back on. im just trying to make sure its my turbo for sure.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoupe View Post
i just dont understand what the wooing noise is.
there wasint a purdy woman around while this was happening was there? My friend makes that noise alot when he sees a good one!

Surely its the turbo going out I couldent imagine anything else making that noise except a stuck EBPV or something in the intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.