Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

truck put out white smoke wont accelerate

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  james7977 
#1 ·
i have a 2004 f250 4x4 6.0 diesel it quit on us yesterday was able to limp it to a buddies house it would not accelerate and when i pushes the gas it put out big puffs of white smoke but didnt smell like coolant then when i came back to load it on the trailer i went to move it and it did the same thing then all the sudden it just stopped doing it and i was able to drive it home with no problems i was told by a freind that it was unburned deisel and that the veins were sticking in the turbo any ideas would be a big help
i have since drove it today it didnt do that but if u let off the gas then pushed it again it would hesitate and puff out black smoke till u let off then if u pushed the gas again it would be fine till u let off and tried to accelerate again

#3 ·
Sounds like your EGR valve is hanging open. If this happens you'll get a no boost situation and your truck wont be able to get out of its own way. If you have a boost gauge look and see if it reads anything when it happens. Not sure about the white smoke...you will usually see a good bit of black smoke because you are pumping more fuel to accomadte for the boost that just isnt there. Go and get checked for codes and if one happens to be P0401, P0402, or P0404 then that is most likely your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.