Diesel spraying! No start, possible clogged line? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel spraying! No start, possible clogged line?

(For Reference: Early 99 7.3L, completely stock)

Okay, so this started this past weekend, I drove the truck across the state, and noticed I got piss-poor fuel mileage. Parked the truck, and in the morning there was a fairly large puddle of diesel under it, approximately 5-feet by 5-feet.

I started the truck, drove it a half mile down the road, and it died on me as if it was out of fuel... started running rough and sputtering until it finally shut off. The truck had over an eighth tank of gas, but under a quarter tank. I thought maybe the truck just got some air or bad diesel, so I popped the hood, and noticed the top of the fuel filter was covered in diesel (nothing else in the engine bay had diesel on it), and diesel was bubbling by where the o-ring goes. So I took the o-ring off, and noticed it was cracked. Bought a new filter (for effing-$30... just for one o-ring).

Anyways, then I cycled the fuel pump a couple times until no more air came through the system, and then put it all back together. Tried starting the truck and it started, and I had to hold it at about 1500rpm to keep it going, ran for about a minute, then sputtered and died. So I took the filter off again, took a look, and everything seemed normal. So I put it back on, tried starting again and diesel started spraying about 3-feet in front of the truck.

I figured it might have just not been on all the way, so I ensured everything was good. But nothing has changed. I noticed that when I filled up the filter bowl to make sure the fuel pump was pumping, the fuel did not go anywhere, when I cranked it or anything. When I put the filter back on, it seems that it builds pressure, and sprays all over the engine bay.

I'm not sure if the line leading out could be clogged, but I need this resolved ASAP. I have only owned this truck for a week and it's already proving to piss me off like none other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

As you are looking at the bowl you will se the fuel presure regulator to the right it has either two torx or allen bolts holding it on. Take it off but be carfull there is a cup and a spring in side check to make sure the spring is not broke make sure it is clean and if you just so happen to find a bb in there toss it. To the right if you are looking at it from the front of the truck.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM

And Welcome to the ORG
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool... I am at school right now but I'll take a look as soon as I get home!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I fixed it yesterday. It was quite easy, I took the FPR off and found that there was a good amount of carbon deposit all over it, plus there was a ball bearing in there from the last owner... so I cleaned it all off and the truck is running great now!

Thanks Dale!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 AM

No problem glad i could help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.