Newb trying to fix fuel leak in the valley. Need held fast - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newb trying to fix fuel leak in the valley. Need held fast

I picked up a new job as a handy man for a company and am trying to make a good impression. The companies 1997 f350 PSD 7.3l is leaking fuel really bad into the valley and now will not even start. I believe the leak is comming from the lower line that I think goes from the fuel bowl to the fuel filter.

I am not very familiar with these engines and here are some questions I have for those with more experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really like this job and would like to keep it.

-What is a good shop manual for this truck and where I can find it.
-Any tips on removing the fuel bowl
-what to disconnect and where should I take particular precaution
-The most common fuel leak suspects. (I hear the fuel drain o rings often go bad as well as fuel pump)
-Reinstall procedure and how to purge air from the fuel system
-This is where I need the most help. I am not sure of the propper
procedure for refilling the fuel bowl after it has been removed and how exactly to purge air from the fuel system. My plan is to fill the fuel bowl with fresh diesel. Turn the key into the on position and let the pump run a few times. Then try to crank. If nothing happens I will try to let some air out of the air valve on the right of the fuel bowl and try to crank over again. Is this the way to go about it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows where to I can find an online repair manual or has signed up for a web based shop manual service that they would like to share I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Most likely your fuel leak will either be the filter housing. Or the fuel water drain valve. With the valve there are o-rings that go bad. When they go bad it will leak fuel pretty good into the engine valley.

The best thing to do is get the o-ring kit, remove the filter housing and inspect it for cracks. If no cracks are found then replace the fuel water drain valve o-rings.

Also check to make sure the filter cap is on tight. It would not hurt to install a new fuel filter and filter o-ring.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the ORG! What year is the truck? First thing you need to do is inspect the area. Find where the leak is coming from and describe it. Then we can tell you the way to fix it. It could be the drain, sensor on the filter housing, the housing, lines, or pump. When you get the problem fixed and fill the fuel bowl the truck should start pretty easily. JJ
Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM

if it's the same thing mine was it's the fuel line from the filter bowl to the back of the passenger head. there is a bracket that, over time, wears a hole in the line. but mine wasn't leaking too much so that may or may not be it
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Welcome to the org.
The leak could be coming from the sources mentioned above. When you take the fuel bowl off, you'll have to take the fuel pressure regulator off of the bowl. Just dont loose anything. Be sure to take all the lines that are connected to the bowl, off. After finding the leak, and b4 reinstalling the bowl, be sure to clean out the valley. Makes it alot easier to see if its still leaking. The vaccum switch for the fuel filter light was leaking on my 96.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the suggestions. I'll let you know as it comes along
Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I just turned the key into the on position to begin filling the fuel bowl and something is wrong. It will display "wait to start" and then the light will shut off and the battery needle will swing, but then the wait to start light will come back on again and then shut off, etc etc. I know the battery is close to if not completely dead. Is this indication of a short, or could this just be caused by the low battery? I am concerned that the fuel bowl heater may be shorting, that is why I ask. Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 AM

I the bats are close to dead it will cause that. The "wait to start light" basically means your glow plugs are on and they pull a lot of current. If the bats are dead then your relay is probably switching on and off from lack of current.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 AM

Oh, and welcome to the org!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so I fixed at least one leak (water drain gaskets) but I am still having some problems. I got the truck started by letting some air/fuel out of the valve on the drivers side of the fuel bowl while someone cranked the motor over. It starts now, but it takes a good bit of cranking over. Cold, the motor will not start unless I bleed some out of that valve. I was wondering what you people think. Do I still have an air leak that is causing the motor to lose it's prime, or have I not managed to get all of the air out of the lines to start with? or neither. Thanks for all the help so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.