After engine work, Overheating bad! Left truck behind.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy After engine work, Overheating bad! Left truck behind..

I took my f250 to a good engine mech school. they replaced my Copper combustion sleeves, glow plugs, valve cover gaskets, wire harness and one injector. Engine runs great, no smoke..... But when I get on the road the temp needle starts to climb way past Normal. 3/4 of the way almost to red zone. Best part, its leaking radiator fluid from the bottle or what seems to be the passemger side fenderwell. And best of all the upper radiator hose is completely cold!!!!!!!! as if no circulation. I had to leave it there afraid to do engine damage. Can any body walk me thru some trooble shooting steps?

and no Heat inside,,,, and no fluid smell....

Last edited by racerx250; 03-12-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: forgot important fact....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM

sounds like a water circulation issue. The water pump may be bad, the thermostat may be stuck not letting fluid flow. Did the shop remove the serpintine belt if so did they put it back on right. I would start with the thermostat because it is cheap and easy to replace. Hope this helpd
Old 03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

yeah i say thermostat is stuck closed and as far as the leak i would make sure they put the clamps back on and that they are tight and like Chamberlain79 said check your belt but check all your hoses and connections first
Old 03-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like maybe they didnt fill it up with enough water or maybe they had an air pocket and the truck appeared to be full of coolant until you drove it for awhile? Now that its cold fill it up with antifreeze and water and let it run with the cap off until it gets to running temp keep filling then replace the cap. If you dont take time and get all the air out it will run hot. I just say this because if you didnt have heat it can be caused by a lack of fluid in the system. Hope this helps--Jason--
Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

sounds like its very possible to have air in the system, if thermostat wasnt sticking before it shouldnt have gone bad just sitting there and 7.3 water pumps dont have circulation issues , the propeller on the inside is steel, never seen one not flow coolant , 6.0 will but not 7.3, the reason for no heat is there is air in the heater core
Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks I ll keep posting. The truck is back at school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.