Help please! Did I Blow it up ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Help please! Did I Blow it up ???

I'm new here (just read a LOT) - I bought a 1999 E-350 with a 7.3 recently from a friend, and JUST put a new Muffler (Aero) and trailer hitch on..... (it also has a Striker Power Module on it that was at the time, set all the way up to 5 - ?)

While I was out playing with the cool new muffler to see how much better it ran, under heavy acceleration, it made soft popping sound (from the engine compartment), "Service Engine soon" idiot light came on & it lost power but continued to run - as I was less than a quarter mile from my house, I continued gently down the road, it still responded to throttle, and I even heard a sucking sound when I let off the gas.... (I thought maybe it got carried away on Boost & maybe blew something loose on the intake side)

As i pulled off the highway, it died & would not start, THEN as a couple people helped me push it to the side of the road, I saw a BUNCH of engine oil where it had sit for a few minutes.....

No Rod hanging out or anything, and it seems like the oil came out on the topside of the motor, as the passenger side underhood area is DRENCHED with motor oil and even had oil running down the Grill.

I don't hear any bad noises when it cranks, and it still cranks over fast (maybe TOO Fast?) - but thats about all I have for info now, as it is dark out & I have to work all night.

If anyone has any helpful ideas, or obvious questions for me, I will check back as much as i can till I go to work.

I'm an OK shadetree mechanic, but my diesel experience is very limited and I would appreciate ANY INPUT! - THANKS!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Blown high pressure oil line maybe? Those lines make a huge mess when they go. Take a look in the engine valley and look for 2 steel braided lines (one to each head) and see if one is leaking or blown apart. If it is blown, it will not allow the truck to start and it'll make a mess like you described.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

and find out what code it threw. i'd start there.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM

check your hpop lines like psdfan99 said same thing happened to me. good luck let us know the outcome
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I feel a littel better - THANKS!!

I got the same "guesstimate" from the former owner - (High Pressure line)

But I do appreciate your responses, and am not as worried as I was earlier.

Thanks to all & I will let you know when I confirm what happened.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, Found the problem.... Now.... ???

it's one of the High Pressure oil pump lines - now can anyone guide me to a source for replacement lines other than ? I figure I better replace them both, since one sprung a leak right in the middle of the line.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Ford or International is probably the best (and maybe the only) place to get those lines. If you buy the lines from Ford or IH, they will last a long time ans will be a direct replacement. I wouldn't buy from any other source.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

IH Part #'s ?

I figured the dealer would be the best & Probably only option.... if anyone knows part #'s for IH, I would like to check with my loacl tractor dealership (they don't have the books for the 7.3, but can order with a part #)

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.