Problem: no power, white smoke, now wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face Problem: no power, white smoke, now wont start

Hey guys, todays been a day from hell for me;

Drove from Texas to Atlanta, engine started to loose power progressively until it completelly died 250miles away from home. Had it towed the rest of the way.

The skinny;
I was on vegie mode when i noticed the truck didnt ahve the 'normal' power it normally had when i tried to pass a car, truck couldnt go past 70mph at 11psi. I though the vegie filter might be getting plugged so i witched to diesel and the my top speed dropped to 55mph and 5psi boost. switched back to vegie and the truck slowly climbed back to 70mph and 11psi boost.. i was puzzled! On inclines and bridges the truck would slow down as well and of course recovered on the downhill.

Stopped a few exits down the highway to check on the truck; oil level ok, coolant level ok as well, no drips no smells, it 'looked' ok. Dropped a bottle of 'sea foam injector cleaner' thinking injector might be dirty?!? It started fine but soon started to spudder and died, cranked again and started but definatelly felt very slow acceleration, truck barely had power to move on diesel and a bit more power on vegie. Once on the highway the top speed was no more than 60mph on flat plains and 45mph on hills forced to downshift a gear.

Stopped again at a rest area about half hour later, this time was very very hard to get it started and would smoke white while starting, eventually started but had barely any power, max speed now was 45mph and about 30 on first uphill, the last 10 miles or so i switched to diesel as it was clear the truck wouldnt make it to atlanta in that state and was going to take the next exit. It had no power to complete the second hill and pulled over, it was iddling very rough and rpms would not move when the go pedal was pressed while iddling, it eventualy died off.

It would smoke white/grey while trying to start, it would start for a second or two only on the max setting of the chip, sputter and then die.

Called the tow truck and brought it home..

Plan for the morning:

* Im going to change fluids and filters tomorrow but i know the culprit is somewhere else... any clues???
* Scan for codes even though there is no SES light.

can anyone point what else to check?

ps.. sorry for the long post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
good place to start with is the filters...
Old 03-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

changed fuel filter, cleaned bowl tried a few times and it then sent two codes out.
P0603 and P1660

I'll start searching but would appreciate your inputs about these two codes.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Found this but cant really follow/understand fully what/were it is.

(P0603) = CONTINUOUS DTC P0603 INDICATES PCM HAS EXPERIENCED A POWER INTERRUPT IN KAM CIRCUIT. [KAM == Keep Alive Memory]

(P1660 OR P1661) = INDICATES THAT OUTPUT CIRCUIT CHECK IS HIGH OR LOW.POSSIBLE CAUSES ARE:HIGH SYSTEM
VOLTAGE, VREF CIRCUIT FAULT;

Last edited by kamaleon; 03-06-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
P0603 is an Internal Control Module Keep Alive memory (KAM) Error. What I don't know is what the problem actully is, and what the remedy is.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i found a description to the codes too but might im not that 'mecanic literated'. been searching and most sites i find info on pretty much say the same description. Others reffer to idm,pcm, map sensor. Can someone translate it and put it in common English?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck had some of the same symptoms today and a member brought over his laptop and ran a program that did buzz tests and contribution tests and it came up with: #8 injector failed contribution test
Old 03-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

did it seem as if your truck was misfiring?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i think so, i know it wasnt running right, very rough the last few hundred miles.. i need to get that test done too..
Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

by teh way can you elaborate on describing buzz test and contribution, what does it mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.