2 completely different problems, I think. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2 completely different problems, I think.

Hello from Dayton, Ohio! This started 2 weeks ago. It's a 1996, 7.3L, with 214k miles, all fluids and filters are relatively fresh. It's been pretty cold outside, I have no problem starting or idling, but after letting it warm up 20 minutes or so, and start driving, for the first 3 to 5 miles, it seems to hesitate, then go back to normal almost in a cycle. It runs ok, then hesitates for 8 or 10 seconds, then is ok for 10 to 30 seconds, then hesitates again. After it gets more warmed up, it quits doing it. I usually drive it pretty slow until it warms up(not over 45mph, and let it take it's time getting there) anyway. I don't see any extra smoke, and no dash warning lights.

The second thing that started this weekend is, after letting it sit for 3 days (friday thru sunday), I noticed antifreeze on the ground, directly under the water pump, but can't find anywhere that is wet. It doesn't leak while running? I topped it off with anti freeze, drove 150 miles, then parked over night, and there was no leaking during the night. Same story tuesday and didn't leak again until wednsday night/thursday morning. Then, it was just a little on the ground, but nothing under the truck wet that I can find. The hoses appear to be in good shape, and I can't understand why it leaks at rest, but not while running. The temp has stayed normal, and the heater works ok.

I appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me. I'd like to get things fixed, before they become a real problem, or maybe I have one and just don't know it yet? Thanks in advance.............P.S. I probably won't get back to my puter until sunday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

WELCOME TO THE ORG, YOUR DEFINITELY IN THE RIGHT PLACE TO GET SOME HELP WITH YOUR ISSUES!!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the ORG!

I am not sure about the second problem but it sounds to me that your first issue is just your EBPV cycling to help warm your truck up. It is normal but if you dont like it as most of us dont, you can simply unplug it. Truck will take about 5 extra minutes to fully warm up!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Ditto on the EBPV, I let my truck Idle for 10 to 15 minutes for the first start of the day so I don't encounter this, Remote start is a big help. Does it make a slight whistle or a swooooosh type noise while its bogging? If you give it a decent amount of gas goes it go completely away in about 3 sec but return when you let off ? If so its the EBPV.

Your water pump is probably on its way out, check it now, you don't want it to seize because the resulting broken belt/tensioner can damage quite a few things in a matter of seconds, not to mention being on the side of the road, your tow bill will cost more than the pump. Relatively easy to replace also for a shade tree mechanic as long as you can break the nut loose, I had to use a pipe wrench with a pipe slid over it for extra leverage (mine was extra tight). Maintain has a good vid on here showing how to replace it.

To check it just crawl under the truck and look at the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump near the pulley there is a small hole there and if you see any white deposits around it or any fluid it's time to replace it. you wont see any leaking fluid when its running because it's a small leak and the fan blows the droplets back onto the hot engine and it evaporates when is running, but you will be able to see the leak when it's running eventually when it becomes a stream.

Good luck, sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.