Leaking coolant!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking coolant!!!

I have a 2000 model f250 powerstroke with 208k miles the waterpump was roughly replaced 2 years ago and now my truck is leaking coolant at different times and i cant figure it out. it is coming from the bottom somewhere cant really tell without taking apart. Is there any reason it would be leaking sometimes and sometimes not. please help. should i just replace it myself of go have it done by a mechanic? any help would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How bad and how often is the leak? Maybe your thermostat housing or gasket? maybe just some corrosion around one of the hoses (don't forget about your heater hoses.)
Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

We need a little more info. Yes it can leak sometimes and sometimes not. Depends on cooling system pressure, outside air temp, vibrations, etc... Can you look under the truck? When you say bottom, what do you mean?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

when it does leak its a fast drip that makes a pretty good puddle. I cant actually see where the coolant is coming from When i crawled under it was dripping from the bottom pulley it seems to come from the bottom of the pump but i cant get a look at it. I havent seen any of the hoses leaking but i will look as soon as it leaks again. i am loosing coolant very slow and its never predictable. It also seems to leak more when the truck is running and almost comes to a halt when the engine is off. Confusing stuff i appreciate the help
Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 PM

The pump is probably going out again. Was it a new or reman that you replaced it with before? The remans can leak once in a while.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im not real sure my fathers mechanic friend replaced it for him. he works on fire trucks so i would guess he would use a new part. but i really have no clue. Why would the pump leak only sometimes. and is it worth doing myself or should i just take it to my mechanic
Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 PM

Pumps are not that hard to change. There is a write up on here under the 7.3 tech files section. Well it could leak from the pump when there is pressure in the cooling system once it warms up or if the bearing in the pump is going out it will leak when its turning. There is usually a weep hole on the bottom of the pumps that will start leaking which indicates the bearing going out. Try and see if it is coming from right under the pump.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks i appreciate it. what is the best pump to go with/ any secrets to help with install or longevity
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM

check out youtube and do a search for water pump install on a 7.3. Marty aka "maintain" on here did a video on doing the install. Very cool and helpful. As far as brands, i don't know which ones are good or bad. I would get a motorcraft replacement or a napa one. Napa carries some of the best aftermarket parts. Make sure it is you pump though before you just start throwing money at it. Nothing worse than thinking you fixed something and have it cause trouble after your done.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the help i was actually able to get up under with the truck running today with a flash light and it looks as if the coolant is running from around the bottom of the water pump. so i figure if i change it it will be ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.