2006 6.0L in Iraq - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 6.0L in Iraq

Short intro, I'm a Air Force vehicle mechanic doing a tour in Iraq. We're all pretty well stumped by the problem we're having and a buddy of mine pointed me here.

We've got 2006 F250 with the 6.0L in it. It originally came in a CEL. I checked the codes and there were quite a few. The engine oil temp was too high, the ICP was too low (which we've seen a lot of), along with a few others that I can't recall at the moment.

We quickly discovered that the oil filter lid was leaking so we tossed a new filter and lid on it. That took care of the engine oil codes. I noticed that the coolant was low, so in the process of "topping it off" I discovered the lower rad hose was busted. Fast forward 2 weeks and we got a new hose on it and filled the coolant system, no more leaks on that end.

So I take the truck out for a test run. Fastest we can get around here is 40mph. So I take it out and flog it as hard as possible to make sure nothing starts leaking. This is standard operating procedure for us, cause our "customers" aren't exactly nice to the trucks. So I'm zingin' along at 40mph and the accelerator stops responding, I shift to neutral and try a restart...no dice. I get pulled over and try starting it a few more times. All I get is cranking with no firing.

I tow the truck in and I checked fuel level (good), oil level (good), and coolant (good). I read through some of the posts on here and checked the FICM and ICP voltages using our Snap-On MODIS. All the voltages check out with no drop during cranking. Any ideas you guys can throw out would be great. Unfortunately no one here is real aquainted with the 6.0s and we don't have the option of a dealership.

Thanks in advance,
SSgt J. Sharp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 AM

Welcome!!! U.S.A.F.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 AM
lifetime member

welcome to the org! i would change the icp on it any way. pull the icp and see if it has oil residue in the top of it where the plug plugs in.if it does, definitely bad. i had that problem, put a new one in and it died in one month with no sign of oil on it. no code either. i put another one in and no more problem.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well after digging into some of our obscure international and ford service manuals I narrowed it down to either the IPR or the HPOP. The ICP was only hitting 50psi and .30v during crank. We're gonna tear down the top of the motor so we can decide which it is. We can't really just replace parts to replace them because it means the vehicle being down for a week or more without being sure it's going to fix the problem. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:07 AM
lifetime member

i also replaced my HPOP at one point. same symptoms. oh, by the way, stay safe over there. i for one am thankful for your (and others around you) service.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome!!!

U.S. Army here!! Stay SAFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.