HPOP leak (not fittings) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
HPOP leak (not fittings)

I've checked the typical fittings, and the plug, and everything is dry. I've got a lot of oil in the valley, and it almost looks like the gasket between the HPOP and the housing is wet or leaking. Is that possible? either that or the plug thats on the side near the IPR, down below.

the bottom of the HPOP itself is dry, so is the bottom of the IPR, at least as far as i can stick my hand down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is possible the hpop gasket is leaking but usually oil will drip down the under side of the hpop. Have you inspected the bottom of the spider pipe and turbo?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM

my gutted ebpv and pedestal aren't leaking more than normal. you can see quite a good amount of oil coming from under the hpop somewhere.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 AM

One option is to clean the engine really well then run the truck for a few miles, after that reinspect the area it should narrow down the possibilities.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM

i wiped everything down, and narrowed it down to where i can't see where it's coming from... under the hpop somewheres.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM

Have you checked the plugs on the hpop? The small plug on the drivers side is a "do not remove plug". Otherwise I would say it's either the hpop mounting gasket or maybe the timing cover
Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 PM

The hpop mounting gasket is reusable, but if it is leaking I would buy a new one or you can buy some Wacker T95 silicone gasket material, then apply a small amount on the rubber portions of the gasket. You will need to drain down the oil so when you pull the gear access cover and pump you don't loose oil all over the engine. This can be done without removing the fuel bowl but it makes it a little easier( becareful of the IPR, don't drop the pump it will ruin that piece of Ford gold) as for reinstallation here arethe torque specs: hpop mounting bolts- 24ftlbs. Hpop gear bolt- 95ftlbs. IPR retainer spring nut- 54inlbs. Fuel bowl mounting bolts- tight but not over tight(sorry I don't have that off the top of my head). You don't need to remove the hpop lines to do this but it also makes thing easier to move around(the lines take a special tool, a 9/16" open end wrench that is under an 1/8" thick will work)
Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM

i just got it 95% dis-assembled. that bolt in the gear is a pain in the ***, haven't broke it loose yet. have to get me a good sized pipe.

i think i'm just gonna get a new gasket. for what it's worth i'd rather put a new one in and not have to worry about it down the road.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Ya that bolt is on there real good, a breaker bar and pipe will deffinatley work. I wouldn't take the pump all the way out yet, unless your local Ford parts is opened on Sunday, I'm not sure if the aftermarkets carry that gasket. When you put everything back together crank the ignition for 10 seconds then turn it off for 30 sec, do this a couple times then she should fire up.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 PM

well, after the race sucked, i decided to have another go at it. the gasket looked perfectly fine. i pulled the small plug on the side near the IPR. It's got a little rod on the end of the plug about 1 1/4" long. the o-ring was all mushroomed and torn up, so i replaced that, put teh gasket back on with some high temp RTV and put it back togther. i'll finish it up tomorrow. I have to clean the crud out of the fuel bowl anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.