only running on bank 1!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
only running on bank 1!!!

hey guys.

so i left a buddys house tonight ironically after helping him work on his misfiring truck when all of a sudden my truck started running like @ss.. it was fine for a while (2 miles or so) when all of a sudden i went to take off from a stop sign and it had noooo power and my egts dropped. id floor it and boost would slooooooooooowwwllllly reach maybe 8 psi at 50 mph. it took forever to get there. i pulled over and luckily my buddy with was behind me with the scan tool from ford and he hooked it up. he did a "general test" i think it was, which came back normal and then he did an injector buzz test. the buzzes were great for bank one but on everyone on bank 2 was weak. i limped it home and thats where she is now. what do you guys think it could be? i mean the truck was great, i stop at a stop sign and then she totally sucked! no issues in the past like this at all. he said to maybe check the injector harness where it plugs in by the valve cover. anything else i should check in case this doesnt help? i have a wedding to go to tomorrow afternoon... any help is greaaatly appreciated

Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Ditto the wires bud.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM

im really hoping its something stupid like the connector is loose or something.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 AM

well, i just took my CAC tube off on the passenger side of the truck so i could get my big fat dumb hands in towards the valve cover. I got the UVC connector apart and all looks good. no burning or corrosion on the connector or on the pins. i think the next step is the IDM. what do you guys think?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep messing with the valve cover gacket. It will probaly be that!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:23 AM

i just messed with the connector..think i should pull the whole UVC gasket?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:41 AM

A quick and dirty method to check for bad UVCH or the harness inside the valve cover is to remove your oil fill cap and take a whiff. If it smells like burnt wires, you're on the right track.

It could also simply be bad/burnt pins on the valve cover gasket harness.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 AM

good idea. i will go and "'take a sniff". my buddy also a few hours before this happend did a glow plug test. i guess the resistance was all within specs. could it just be the injector side of the UVC harness?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSTOKED_Bryan View Post
good idea. i will go and "'take a sniff". my buddy also a few hours before this happend did a glow plug test. i guess the resistance was all within specs. could it just be the injector side of the UVC harness?
It could be. Knock on wood, I've not had the pleasure of tracking these issues yet. From what I've read and heard from others, the pins in the connectors are equal opportunity failures. Burnt pins in the connector may/may not be smelled in the oil fill cap, sniff the connectors as well.

If you don't "smell" it. It could still be the pins themselves. However, I couldn't tell you how to test it. Someone else will have to help with that if need be.

If nothing turns up with these, check your IDM harness connection... at the IDM. Mice could have nested and chewed the wires.

If your buddy's IDM doesn't solve the problem still, may as well pull the VC's and see if the harness itself is coming apart.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 AM

ok. i pulled the connector apart at the valve cover. no signs of over heating, burning, cracking or corrosion. the pins looked good too. im going to have to locate the idm on my truck. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.