7.3 won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 11:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 won't start

I just had 01 F250 (CA) in the shop for a bad glow plug controller and a cam sensor replacement. I picked it up from the shop Thursday night and it started fine. I drove it home and parked it. Friday afternoon I tried to start it and it would not fire. I hooked up the engine heater and tried again 3 hours later, again won't start. This morning the temp gauge shows it as warm but still just cranks without starting. It has 110K miles on it and a Super Chip set to Hi Performance. What can I check? Shop is not open until Monday and I need it sooner than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How cold is it there? if its not below like 35 at night, its not a temp issue...the new cam sensor could be bad...its not like they forgot to hook something back up at the shop, since you said it started then.

is it a clean crank like svmm svmm svmm, or is it a dying crank sound like svmmsvmm svmm svm sv sv sv ss

i don't know what else to say
good luck

wes
Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardket
I just had 01 F250 (CA) in the shop for a bad glow plug controller and a cam sensor replacement. I picked it up from the shop Thursday night and it started fine. I drove it home and parked it. Friday afternoon I tried to start it and it would not fire. I hooked up the engine heater and tried again 3 hours later, again won't start. This morning the temp gauge shows it as warm but still just cranks without starting. It has 110K miles on it and a Super Chip set to Hi Performance. What can I check? Shop is not open until Monday and I need it sooner than that.
check the wires at the glow plug controller to make sure they are connected properly, and the wire at the cam sensor (just above the crank pulley....just a little to the left side of motor, has a bronze colored tab off of it that looks like a timing peg) to make sure its hooked up. is the motor cranking at the proper speed, because it has to reach about 600 rpms cranking to be able to fire.....try checking your batteries if it sounds sluggish.....bout all i can think of that you can check yourself without me knowing any more...hope this helps......Marc
Old 01-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Make sure the battery voltage is above 10.5 volt while cranking. Your PCM needs 10.5 volts or more to work. Bad batterys are a common problem with no starts.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:00 PM

It cranks OK around the 600 RPM mark and sounds fine. The temp here was down to about 32 (frost on the ground) Friday morning and about mid 50's when I tried to start it first time (3PM). Batteries were and are up, I will double check the cranking voltage. I warmed it up with the crank case heater to remove the temp issue. I will check Sunday for the cam sensor wires. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:05 PM

Thumbs up

Well, I decided to set the Super Chip programmer back to stock. When I tried to crank it, it had a hard crank so I made sure it was fully charged with a jump (heavy duty cables) and it started right up. When it set back to stock and clears the DTC's, I could hear something like a pump running for about 5 seconds. I hear something similar on normal start but only for about a half second. I set the programing to Tow Safe and it starts fine.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardket
Well, I decided to set the Super Chip programmer back to stock. When I tried to crank it, it had a hard crank so I made sure it was fully charged with a jump (heavy duty cables) and it started right up. When it set back to stock and clears the DTC's, I could hear something like a pump running for about 5 seconds. I hear something similar on normal start but only for about a half second. I set the programing to Tow Safe and it starts fine.
the pump running was probably just the electric vacume pump. if it only sits for short times (less than a day) they dont lose too much vacume out of the system, but since yours sat for a while, it just had to build more vacume for the system. no biggie, normal. as far as your issue, sounds to me like it may be weak batteries just starting to go, but thats just off of what you have told me, its tough to diag online.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry no start

I have the same p0603 tc first bout 3 mo ago my 02 f 350 would not start. I have a super chip on the hi setting went to stat and it just turned over and over. I set back to normal and then it started fine no prob for 3 mo til bout 2 weeks ago would not start didnt have the super chip controller so just unpluged the bat for 30 min and the tuck started. Now it dosent start one out of 10 starts and i pull the cable and it will crank then i have replaced the cps that did no help
please help
thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 09:58 PM

I found that the computer was a little more touchy on the High Perf setting than on stock. I traced mine down to the voltage dropping to about 10.5 volts while cranking and the computer will not function somewhere around that point. Check your batteries and make sure you do not have a bad cell in one of them.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had a buddy of mine with an 01' go through the same thing. He told me that it was a sensor in the exhaust taht caused his problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.