2005 6.0 won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 won't start

I bought my truck about 2 months ago and love it. I went to go home last night and the engine almost seemed to start after the typical 4 second crank, but didn't. I tried to restart it( it almost seems to sound a little different), but it only cranks. The tach doesn't stay at zero, so it shouldn't be the cam sensor right? I drained the fuel from the lower filter (it looked very clean) and then tried to restart the truck. The filter did refill with fuel. What should I check next? I am desperate to have my truck up and running again.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome to the Org! Does the engine sound like its trying to fire, or is it just turning over?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

how cold has it been and how long has it been sitting? could be bad fuel, dead batteries? try the obvious first.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstoyz View Post
how cold has it been and how long has it been sitting? could be bad fuel, dead batteries? try the obvious first.
Ditto. And How many miles are on your truck. Check the fuses and small stuff. If its not any of that then you might be looking at a FICM
Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

FICM
Fuel injection Control Module.

Or a HPOP leak.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks; how do I test it?

Thanks for the quick reply. The previous owner had the high pressure hoses replaced about 4,000 miles ago, so I would assume(I know!) that they are good. How can I test the two possible solutions though? As you can see, I'm trying to avoid taking it to my local dealer as I don't have ANY faith in them.
Thanks again,
Keith
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Response to other suggestions

I didn't realize I had all the other responses, until after I sent the previous response. Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll learn a lot here. The truck only sat for the 10 hours I was at work. At first it seemed like it was going to start, but after the initial time, it only seems to be cranking. The batteries are only 2 months old, and I filled up yesterday (about 35miles out of town) at a truck stop. I looked at all the fuses inside the truck and they were still solid...like a dumb butt, I didn't check the ones under the hood. Is there an easy way to check the relays?
Hopefully I answered all your questions!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

it is impossible to know what is wrong with this truck on a guess, it could be a dozen things , ficm, high pressure oil leak,stc fitting at pump, ipr , etc., you will waste moretime and money trying to guess than you will taking this truck in and get it diagnosed correctly, is this truck not under warranty
Old 01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

reply to SCUFFY828

SCUFFY828,
I understand that long distance trouble-shooting is difficult, if not impossible. I, as well as many people I know, have had serious issues with our local dealer. For that reason, I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities, at least the ones that a guy at home can tackle. Unfortunately, the truck has 104,000 miles, so it's out of warranty. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but the high pressure hoses were replaced by a dealer about 3 months ago.
Thanks again,
Keith
Old 01-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

brown plug on lower fuel housing

I also noticed that the brown plug that plugs into the back of the lower fuel filter housing (according to the pic in the how to change a fuel filter section of this site), isn't plugged into anything on my 05 King Ranch F350 4x4. The place it shows in the picture is just a blind hole on my truck. Is this supposed to be this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.