7.3 stalling at idle and hard starting. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 stalling at idle and hard starting.

Okay, looking for some help.
I just got done replacing the injectors on my truck and got it fired up and it stayed running for a few then died. Then got it restarted and it idled again for a few and died. Figured this was just because I pulled the plugs at the back of the heads to drain the fuel.
Got it started again and took it about 2 miles down the road and when I went to turn it around to come back home and I idled down to make the turnaround, it kept dying. So I had to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it idled up a little and then it stayed running, but I had to crank pretty good to get it started.
Then I got home and same thing is that when it idles down like coming up to a stop, it dies.
this last time I tried to restart it and no go.
Called a friend who is somewhat familiar with diesels and he told me it could be the lift pump. So, I opened the water drain on the fuel filter and turned the key on and diesel was streaming really well out of the drain. So he told me if it is doing that, the lift pump is fine.

Going to get a new fuel filter for it as I haven't replaced that since changing the injectors and I noticed that the fuel coming out of the drain seemed black and not clear.
I had changed out the injectors as I was using a crap load of oil and I bought rebuilt injectors from Jim Rosewood. So, I know that is probably the reason why the fuel looks horrible.

I was wondering if my ICP could've gone bad as I seemed to have a stalling problem at low idle when I had done rings on my old injector and my truck had coded that the ICP needed replacing. Which I did and it seemed to run better.

Any help or suggestions on thsi whole deal.

The pick up ran awesome when I took it out for its test drive as long as I had RPM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Kinda sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak. But first off change your filter and clean all the oil out if the filter housing. Then see if it runs better. If not you my have pinched a oring installing the injectors.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Humm, sure hope I didn't do that. They all went in really nice.
How would you pinch an O ring in an installation of the injectors?
The injectors were already pre-oiled before I installed them.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM

Do you have any way of watching your icp pressure? It's really pretty easy to catch a oring and nick it.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed out the fuel filter and got it started and it idled great for a bit and then died. Got it restarted and took it for a drive an noticed that every time it was getting below 1500, it was dying.
Of course now it won't restart at all.
Seems like if the oil is getting hot, that's where the problems are beginning.
I'm wondering if maybe it couldn't be the ICP.
Last time when I just did the external O rings on the injectors and took it to town, it died and wouldn't restart and after I got it started, it wasn't idling too smooth and took it to the auto parts and it coded that the ICP sensor was bad.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:21 PM

Hot no starts and dying usually means oil leak. Your icp code is probably from loosing pressure from the leak. Pull the valve covers and start it and watch for oil leaking between the injector and the head.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Guess that is my next move then.
Question though, will you be able to see a difference between an oil leak between the injector and the head, verses the oil that is coming off of the injector and going through the oil deflector?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM

http://youtu.be/YCgF2gJb8C4
Here is a video of a leaking oring. The one on the right is bad. The one on the left is good
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

What year truck is it and how many miles? The only issue you had before was oil getting in the fuel? Do you have any way to monitor data on it? Other then the dying it seems to run good? No smoking of any sort?

It is kind of sounding like a ICP issue of sorts, but without being able to monitor data that's just a guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.