Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 knock ????

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  sea71 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am a newbie to this site and I need help!!! I just bought (2 weeks ago) my first powerstroke, 01 f350 crew cab dually 4X4. 7.3 with a banks big head, exhaust and ,chip. My complaint is the engine has a non diesel associated knock which seems louder on the left side I can hear is very loudly in the cab especially when coasting not touching the gas pedal. when I open the hood it seems to be under the left valve cover?? Push rod maybe??? Kind of hard to hear with the hood closed but if you walk 25 feet away its very clear and kind of embarassing.The truck runs like a scalded dog and has no smoke and great oil pressure. I hope to god I didnt buy a lemon:tard: or something that is going to be a money pit. I have been a mechanic (gas) for over 18 years but have never fooled with diesels.The truck has 151,000 miles mostley highway towing miles. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Only one way too know for sure.....did you put a stethoscope on it??

#4 ·
well then you probably need to take the valve cover off and see if you can see anything. While your at it change the UVC harness if it looks old cause it will be broken soon.

#5 ·
I hate to sound stupid here but I see the high voltage marks on the valve covers will unhooking the batteries eliminate any voltage that may be there or is there some type of transformer on this thing that stores energy?? Again I hate to ask dumb questions but this is all new to me. Thanks,David

#7 ·
I plan on doin some serious stero upgrades too but all plans are on hold untill I get this straight, I have a bad case of OCD and knocks and ticks like this make me berserk I dont mind the normal diesel niose but something I know shouldnt be there is like fingernails on a blackboard:crazy:

#8 ·
There are no dumb questions.....

I'm not positive but I think the voltage is only flowing while the engine is running. I've never been shocked nor do I know anyone that has.

#10 ·
No I am not going to fool with it now I searched this site last night and google and found that it is a common problem called "injector cackle" and apparently I am not the only one to be scared by this noise,and it seems that installing a chip makes it worse, So I guess its the #8 injector causing this which makes sense as it sounds like it is at the left rear of the motor. I found several different approaches to fix it but so long as now I know it wont hurn anything thats money that will have to wait to be spent. I need other stuff right now.....turbowing, shocker 4 horn setup, stereo!!!!:thumb:

#15 ·
You are dead on with the "cackle". I worried about it when I bought my 02. I thought something was wrong.Anyway, you can add some fuel additive when you fill up, and that helps to quiet it down some. I have since started running my own bio, and I can barely hear it anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.