Truck Died on way home?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Died on way home?!?

2002 F250 7.3L with 202K Miles.

Driving home from work, doing 55 mph, all of a sudden the truck starts to slow down, gas pedal does nothing, rpm drops to zero, truck is DEAD. Thought maybe out of fuel(sort of felt like it ran out, but not quite, hard to describe). Called a friend, got 2 gallons of diesel, added to tank(Fuel gauge shows 1/4 tank at this point) Press the water/fuel dump lever and get some fluid out the bottom, which tells me fuel is in the bowl, didn't suck air. Crank the truck and it will run for about 2 seconds, and then dies, when it runs it is really rough(shake truck really hard and bad rough), and after trying over and over until the trucks batteries are dead, i have it towed home. Got it home, charged up, now it just cranks and cranks, sounds like its about to start(fires a time or 2 on its own) and then just keeps cranking. Checked with OBD 2 reader, no codes, but cranked it to the point that the computer lost power, so if there were codes they are gone now...

Suggestions? Ideas? Help??

Thanks,
Scoutcamper

Last edited by scoutcamper; 07-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 PM

Also have a hypertech hyperpac tune installed. I can remove it and flash back to stock, just wondering the reprocussions of doing this while the truck wont run. any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, the computer doesn't lose a hard code from a power loss But, you'll Always need more than an OBD-II scanner to retrieve a code from our trucks (which are Not, specifically, OBD-II). Get the right scanner on it and find-out what is going on.

Next, put 5 more gallons in the tank. Two is an insignificant amount in a big tank and there's a common delivery problem that starts at 1/4 tank (couldn't hurt to try). Then, insure the pump runs by putting your hand on it and feeling it and run it for 15secs. Drain the bowl and collect what comes out in a cup. Do this a second time and compare what you get to confirm fuel delivery.

Also, as your crank the batteries low you have to keep-up with recharging them because once the voltage drops too low the computer won't trigger the IDM to fire the injectors (an '02 isn't as sensitive to this as earlier trucks but it's a waste of time if you allow it to get too low)

If you can get it to run for more than a couple of seconds, maybe hold the pedal down some, you should also check that you have the same amount of "heat" in each exhaust manifold (just 30 secs and you can run-around and feel them over the ft tires) to know you haven't lost a side to a bad UVCH or IDM.

Anyway that's where I'd start
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM

I am wondering if perhaps this could be a cam position sensor failing. Thinking back(after a good night of sleep) sitting at the stoplight before i got up to speed(turn left at stoplight, about 1/8'th of a mile later is when it croaked) it had a miss(it was idling louder and rougher, didnt click at the time that that was happening). So add a miss to my symptoms and i believe that leads us to the CPS? I still have the OEM black one, never had the recall done. Should i have it towed to the dealer and get the recall done?(after flashing computer back to stock of course)

When i take my lunch break i will dump 5 gallons of diesel in it, but i tested that when someone is cranking it i can press the yellow dump lever on the back of the fuel bowl and fuel shoots out the bottom with force, which i think means i am getting fuel?

I have the truck on battery chargers now and have a friend with an 02 7.3 who is coming over tonight to be a power feed and help me diagnose this(he has the propper computer reader, i have a $12 odb2 reader for my miata that happens to plug into the truck and read some codes sometimes)

Thanks,
Scoutcamper
Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It could be a CPS I guess but, your description isn't typical of one (when they first start failing, they usually "fix" themselves once they cool-off) In either case a scan would let you know. Do you have anything that would show you cranking rpm? That would confirm it's function (the tach used to be a good indicator but no longer in an '02).

I saw you dumped the fuel bowl but, to confirm fuel delivery you have to do it more than once and is why I suggested it. Sounds like you have done that now.

See if you can get it to run a bit longer...
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 AM

Yeah, i did dump the fuel bowl more than once, and got about an equal amount each time. There is no rpm showing either on the dash or on my obd2 ebay reader, which is why i am thinking CPS. It right now will not run at all. The only time i got it to cough and sputter was on the side of the road and im not sure why it wont do that now(towed it home, now it wont do anything but crank).
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 AM

A CPS from ford is only like $23.00. Its always good to have one in the glove box. If i were you, id go to ford and buy one. put it in. If it fixes it, great, if not, you have a spare in case it ever poops out on the road.

You might look into the torque app. that will allow you to dig a little deeper and monitor icp and ipr values. NoRalph, do you know if that app(obd port) gets its rpm reading from the same place as the tach? I guess i could run out and check on my 02
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Well, CPS changed, things have now improved(i think?)

Truck has gone from just cranking, nothing ever firing, to now it cranks, then you can hear 2-3 cylinders start to fire, and keep cranking, its like its starving for fuel now. I am guessing by dumping the fuel bowl i added air into the system and with some continuous cranking the air will get out of the system?

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Did you cycle the key several times to let the bowl fill back up? When i drain my bowl, ill cycle the key about 4 times for thirty or so seconds each to let everything fill back up
Old 06-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannnce View Post
Did you cycle the key several times to let the bowl fill back up? When i drain my bowl, ill cycle the key about 4 times for thirty or so seconds each to let everything fill back up
Nope, didnt even think about that. Back at work now but will be home in about 4hrs, hopefully that fixes it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.