NEW GUY NEEDS HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEW GUY NEEDS HELP!!

Hello all! I have heard a ton of great things about this site and I hope that someone here can help me. I have a 2005 Ford 6.0 PowerStroke. It was blowing a ton of grayish smoke out of the tail pipe alond with some fluid. i replaced the EGR cooler and oil cooler. Truck started and ran fine for about 2 minutes and now is doing the same thing. Tons of grayish smoke and no power on take off. You can press the pedal down while in park and get it to about 2000 rpms and it seems to be struggling a bit. If you hold it for a few seconds it will go up in rpms and seem to smooth out. Cleaned the EGR valve really well. Still does it. if you start the truck when it has been sitting it will idle smooth and no smoke till it runs for a couple of minutes. Any ideas????? thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bump....anyone?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is the fluid? Oil, fuel, clear like water? Any identifiers? Green? (shouldnt be - but need some help here).

You've asked the best forum for this - should have an answer for you soon. Great guys (and gals) here!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
What is the fluid? Oil, fuel, clear like water? Any identifiers? Green? (shouldnt be - but need some help here).

You've asked the best forum for this - should have an answer for you soon. Great guys (and gals) here!
Thanks for your reply. The fluid appears to be oil, or antifreeze mixed with the soot of the exauhst. while the engine is running it is really thin, but once you shut it down and let it sit for and hour or so it appears to be thicker like oil. It does not seem to be blowing much fluid now after changing the EGR cooler, it may just be what is left in the exauhst blowing out. it is smoking really bad though. Would it be possible that when the EGR cooler went that it may have clogged the vains in the turbo and this is causing my issues?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM

No expert but I'm wondering if you don't have a head gasket issue.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by breuer69 View Post
No expert but I'm wondering if you don't have a head gasket issue.
i had wondered the same thing at first but it is not building any pressure in the Degass bottle and it really runs to smooth i think for it to be a head gasket issue.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 AM

Do you still have they kitty and muff? If you filled them full of anti-freeze you could be banana in the tail piping yourself.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by breuer69 View Post
Do you still have they kitty and muff? If you filled them full of anti-freeze you could be banana in the tail piping yourself.
Yes, everything on this truck is 100% stock. that is an idea that i had not thought of. Do you think that i should try to remove the system and clean it?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Well I'm not an expert buy I might try unbolting the exhaust at the end of the down pipe before it gets to the kitty and see if the exhaust is dry to that point. Maybe start it and see if the exhaust coming out stays dry.

Seems to me like a way to check it that won't cost much in terms of time and a $0 diag.

If I'm wrong maybe one of the techs will chime and and tell me so.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What symptoms will a faulty ICP sensor have? Now this thing will not start or stay running. My Solus Pro scanner detected an ICP fault. When it does run it has some surging and lack of power. I am thinking that maybe i did not run this thing long enough after EGR and OIL Cooler replacement to get all residual fluid out of the system and all the air out of the oil system. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.