Bad Loping Idle won't stay running. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
02 7.3 Bad Loping Idle won't stay running.

Can't find anything on here to answer my problem, been digging for a week now in the forums.

2002 7.3 260,00 miles on it.

The problem:
The truck is very hard to start, it turns over like a champ, but doesn't always start. When it does start it lopes like a Funny car and barely stays running, sometimes dying altogether. When I step on the throttle it slowly speeds up, still running roughly, until 2000 RPMs and smooths out.

The current troubleshooting:
I found drivers side UVCH plug was brittle, like it had overheated. I grafted in a new pigtail and still no change. I did a ohm test on both UVCHs and they all checked out. Also changed fuel filter, no change. I unplugged drivers side UVCH and with passengers side plugged in tried to start, no start. Plugged drivers side back in, unplugged passengers side and while attempting to start it sounded like it would fire on a couple of cylinders but never started. Plugged both back in and still no change, cranks and cranks, then starts, but lopes real bad and dies shortly. No smoke of any color. No SES light. Low fuel light is on, going to store now to get some more fuel to see if that changes anything.

I don't have a scanner of any sort, nor access to one without purchasing myself, unless any members down in South Georgia have one and want to swing buy.

Thanks
Big Country

Last edited by big25country; 05-31-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to big25country
So, quick update.

Went and got 5 gal of Diesel and put it in the truck. Tried starting and still had the same issue. Tried a second time while holding the throttle down and it started but still rough. I held the throttle in till 2000 RPMs and it smoothed out and I lifted and it idles fine. Restarted a few times and sounds and feels good, still a little lope, but much better. I may have a fuel tank sender issue...???

I'll put it all back together tomorrow and give it a test drive and give an update.

Feel free to comment on any ideas that the issues could be. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.