04 6.0 f250 crank no start PLEASE HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 f250 crank no start PLEASE HELP!!

I drove this truck this morning with no issue at all. it had cold start issues in the winter but nothing really out of the ordinary. i ran 2 miles to meet my wife because she said the truck started losing power and just died on her.. now it cranks but wont start. All the sounds pre start up sound like usual (as far as im concerned) I just quit my job to use my GI bill to go to school and this is my only form of transportation please someone help.

what ive done so far

unplugged ipr sensor... nothing

i checked and my fuel bowl was empty cleaned the filter as best i could in clean fuel and refilled with clean fuel...nothing

tried starter fluid.... spun the motor scarily but....nothing

checked fuses...all good

oil level...good

fuel level... full

pump switch... correct position
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

corection ICP sensor
Old 05-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

after all the research i have done im aimed at believing its my frame mounted fuel pump.... i believe my next step is to find a scangauge or obd2 and find out what all my pressures and voltages are to confirm.... im not afraid of the work any of this might take im fairly mechanically inclined.... and ill be damned if i pay next to anything for labor if i can do it myself. that being said the HPOP is expensive so id rather get a scanner then play battleparts with my truck.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im having a very similar issue. Sudden loss of power and it cant even move itself now. Although I can still get it to start. Did you check the FICM voltage?? Google the procedure. It should test at 48v. I'm convinced mine is either the fuel lift pump or the HPOP. I have an OBD2 scanner i borrowed but did not see any place where it showed fuel pressure. Theres a test port at the secondary fuel filter (right next next to the oil filter) Theres a plug there with an allen head, to hook up a pressure test gauge. I did a free borrow of a test gauge from OReiily, but there isn't the proper fitting in the kit that fits the port. Damn! Do you know if there is a way to electrically test the fuel lift pump you mentioned mounted to the frame??
The Following User Says Thank You to jandjkemp For This Useful Post:
sistocj (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im waiting to have a friend bring a multimeter over to test my FICM and another friend has a scanner and hes coming over to test the rest... and yes i do know there is a way to check the power to the fuel pump on the frame as far as the procedure im not sure... i did take the fuel lines off one at a time to see if she would spit out fuel and it did not on either line... just a slow drain... i called the dealership and they said to test the FICM (which i planned to do anyway) im just hoping that its the fuel pump and not the FICM or especially the HPOP....
Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

all signs i have still point at fuel pump im just praying someone with some knowledge pokes into the thread to help us out... i know there are youtube videos describing your specific issue though...
Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

judging by what you say I'm betting yours is the pump. My filter housings are full of fuel..... unless its just poor presssure im betting mine is hpop. let me know what you come up with for a solution
The Following User Says Thank You to jandjkemp For This Useful Post:
sistocj (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah will do. Everybody is complaining about the labor costs for the hpop... but if you do it yourself it wouldnt be much more than my fuel filter (for comparability's sake). funny thing is id like to do one just for the knowledge... just not with the money coming out of my pocket for parts. There's walkthrough videos on youtube that could save any joe a buck these days its awesome...

OHHH... yes almost forgot... your truck WILL NOT FIRE AT ALL if the HPOP doesnt create the pressure needed... so you could be looking at injectors or one of several O rings or an air leak.... not to dampen the mood... i kinda turned away when any research i was doing said they got the vehicle to start because with mine.... i wasnt that lucky.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i guess i didnt realize that with a bad hpop, the vehicle most likely wouldnt start at all. Mine will start but, when i put it in gear it has no power to even move the truck....it just bogs, stutters and eventually dies. Theres a good video on YouTube of a Ford tech showing a real easy way to test your FICM with a multi tester. I followed the instructions and did mine real easy. I thought mine was dead for sure, but it tested at 48 like it should.

Heres a link to that video just in case
Old 05-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just wanted to see how youre coming with the truck. I tried the air bubble test on mine, looking into the upper fuel filter housing while cranking. It failed and has bubbles....just have to figure which injector(s) its coming from. Just a thought for you to do in case you havent solved your issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.