Leaking Coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Leaking Coolant

I've got a '95 7.3 with a five-speed, and I've got coolant coming from somewhere on the front of the engine. Now, the kicker is the water pump is bone dry because it's brand new, as is the thermostat. When the pump was installed, the gasket was coated in RTV and all bolts were doped with thread sealant. Also, the thermostat housing was replaced. I thought this would prevent any leaks, but it's not. Somebody told me that it was the intake or head gasket, but the block is dry and the drip pattern is only at the front of the block. I'm completely stumped. Any thoughts? This is urgent as it's my daily driver. Also, it does build and maintain pressure and the hoses are in good shape. Any help is greatly appreciated. Techs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Jon

?

Are you sure that its not coming out of the weep hole on the bottom of the pump? I've had brand new pumps that were bad. If you can visually see it the next best thing is to pressureize the coolant system and look for a leak then. Also look to make sure its not the oil cooler leaking where it bolts to the front cover. Double check everything you put on new. I've had gaskets and orings leak after install. Nobody is perfect.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:43 PM

If it's the oil cooler where would I look? I had the pump off yesterday after running the truck for about a month and the weep hole had no white residue on it. I think the pump is okay. Also, if it is the oil cooler, can i see it/access it without taking the pump off again? It only leaks under pressure.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Jon

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
If it's the oil cooler where would I look? I had the pump off yesterday after running the truck for about a month and the weep hole had no white residue on it. I think the pump is okay. Also, if it is the oil cooler, can i see it/access it without taking the pump off again? It only leaks under pressure.
The oil cooler runs along the drivers side of the motor. Thats what the oil filter screws on to. The front of it bolts to the front cover right behind the lower radiator hose. Sometime those gaskets will start to leak. Hopefully the front cover doesnt have a hole in it. Should be pretty easy to spot the leak if it leaks underpressure. Crawl under it with a flashlight and a mirror.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 PM

How hard are the o-rings in the cooler to replace, or is that even what you're talking about?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 PM

mine was leaking on the flange where the bottom hose (on the radiator) connects to the water pump i just put a new Oring in dont know if thats the same problem?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Serving Our Country!

Location: Little Rock Air Force Base,Arkansas and North Augusta,South Carolina
idk about these trucks, but on my old sonoma, it leaked after i replaced the water pump, because one of the gaskets had slid sideways when i went to bolt the pump up. I would check the gaskets
Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Thoughts about cooler rings?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Jon

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
Thoughts about cooler rings?
Personally the only coolant leak i've seen from the cooler is the gasket that bolts to the front cover due to the design of the oil cooler.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 PM

What's involved with replacing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.