'06 F350 No start - in South Korea! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TriggerT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 F350 No start - in South Korea!

All:
I have my '06 F350 here in Korea and I cannot get it started. Here is the story; grab a drink 'coz its a long one!

I am an active duty Soldier stationed in Seoul. My wife and I were traveling a few hours south of Seoul and had no troubles with our truck to this point. We stopped at a rest area, shut the truck off, went to the bathroom, came back out and it would not start (this was February). I knew the batteries were going, but was hoping to get through the end of the winter (had no starting issues prior to this). Some locals tried to help (no I did not have any of my tools with me), but could not get it to start with a jump.

We caught a bus back to Seoul, got a pair of batteries, went back to the truck, no start. We had to tow it off the highway (that is a great story, just let me know if you want to hear the craziness of that!); park it on the side of the road.

I ordered a new FICM just to be on the safe side (it takes a bit to get parts over here), traveled back to the truck, tested, it was bad, replaced, still no start (yes I was getting 48V). Had to have my Beast towed back to Seoul ($900- ouch).

Threw my Auto Engenuity on, no codes thrown, was only getting 250-300 psi at the IPR at 85%. Got the Ford testing diagram, and started to run through the tests I could while I waited for parts and tools; here is what I have done so far:

- checked oil for fuel, good
- checked the fuel pressure, good
- checked the air filtration, good
- replaced all filters (oil and fuel)
- LPOP Oil pressure, after the first cranking, new filter was covered with oil and the filter housing fills
- pulled and cleaned the EGR
- checked the fueses - one in the engine compartment was blown, replaced
- ordered an air pressure fitting and new IPR (did not want to wait for the parts)
- pulled the IPR, hooked air to the system, no leaks heard, replaced the IPR (no tear in the screen), built pressure when cranking over 2k PSI

Where I stand now: truck sounds like it is having trouble turning over - cranking does not sound healthy (yes, the batteries are fully charged). I am still not getting any codes that are engine related, unless I pull a sensor and key the ignition.

I have no issues throwing parts at this, but the time factor having things sent from the states is a bit painful.

The truck has had the heads replaced and studded, new oil cooler, EGR cooler from AFE. I am running a Banks Six-Gun, but keep it on two, unless I need to merge (or smoke out someone), then only bump it to 4. I am generally a very calm driver, especially over here!

PLEASE HELP!

Chris

Last edited by TriggerT; 05-23-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 AM

probbally cooked your starter with all the attempts to start, if that fuse blew, you might have a short somewheres, or something drawing to much current.
check out dieseltechron on youtube he has a bunch of good video's.
but one question i will ask do you have FICM SYNC? i think thats what its call its the cam and crank sensor changing from 0 to 1 meaning it see the position of both sensors.
if you had a high pressure oil leak the IPR would be staying close to 85%(closed) but your getting 2k PSI it SHOULD start so thats telling you high pressure system is ok to least get it to start, you know you have low pressure oil(filter housing and gauge on Dash is working), good fuiel pressure, all fluid levels (coolant and all) are good.
Really i would say make sure you have Sync it might be CMP sync or SKP sync on the scan tool i can not remember 100%, let us know!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Talking Thanks and Update

Thanks for the advice. The sync was fine, but watching the videos on Youtube, it made me think... becuase of the sound of the engine turning over (like it was having trouble), we pulled the belt off. Once the belt was off, it turned over like it was brand new! I got the computer (just to be on the safe side) and watched all my data, started to crank, and within 30 seconds, boom, huge puff of black smoke and the truck was running!

Turns out, that although everything we replaced up to this point was bad, there is no sensor telling you the AC compressor is locked up and not letting the RPMs build enough to fire the engine. Computers are great, but nothing beats good advice from a expert mechanic!

Thanks so much, hopefully I will not have to continue this thread, save to help anyone else!

TriggerT
strokersixo likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TriggerT For This Useful Post:
strokersixo (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glad to hear your back up and running. Ive spent alot of time over tin the section of the world. And the whole time I was reading this I was thinking how out of place that big ole truck must be around all them little zoom zoom cars.
What do you pay for diesel over there?
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
TriggerT (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

Not too bad, people do kind of "part the red sea" when they see me coming. The family and I fill up on the base along with a few 5 gallon cans before any major trips; so we pay about 4.15, but if we get in a pinch its about 6-6.50 with the exchange rate.

We usually use a Hyundai Terracan diesel SUV around town and save the Beast for the long trips.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:50 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Did you ever get the issue resolved? You have a high pressure oil leak. Its not an electrical issue.

Unplug the ICP sensor. See if it will fire
Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Premium Member

I did get it fixed; well sort of!

If you read above, it was several things. First, I cooked the FICM trying to squeeze a couple of extra months out of the batteries. Second, I was not building enough high pressure oil to fire the injectors; I did the air pressure test using an adapter that took the IPR valve out of system and had no pressure loss, replaced the IPR. Once I had done those things (along with fuel pressure, LPOP check, replacing all the filters and checking the turbo for seizure), I was building high pressure oil pressure, but it still would not fire (I also think there was a forehead shaped dent in my steering wheel). I happened to get mebob2001's advice on checking the FICM Sync, it was good, but while watching some of the videos on YouTube, one truck had similar sounding (literally) issues while turning over; sooooo. My wife and I pulled the serpentine belt... Holy Crap, it fired right up. The final issue was the A/C compressor was seized. I waiting for parts, but it should be easy enough and we will be up again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerT View Post
Thanks for the advice. The sync was fine, but watching the videos on Youtube, it made me think... becuase of the sound of the engine turning over (like it was having trouble), we pulled the belt off. Once the belt was off, it turned over like it was brand new! I got the computer (just to be on the safe side) and watched all my data, started to crank, and within 30 seconds, boom, huge puff of black smoke and the truck was running!

Turns out, that although everything we replaced up to this point was bad, there is no sensor telling you the AC compressor is locked up and not letting the RPMs build enough to fire the engine. Computers are great, but nothing beats good advice from a expert mechanic!

Thanks so much, hopefully I will not have to continue this thread, save to help anyone else!

TriggerT

HAHAHA THATS ****ING NUTS!!!! if you really look into dieseltechrons videos he had one of a 6.0 where the a/c compressor was seized and caused a no start thats funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine help, no start cold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.