Fuel won't flow, I am roadside - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to TimDiesel Send a message via Skype™ to TimDiesel
Question Fuel won't flow, I am roadside

Ok, first off on my 2000 7.3 Powerstroke, fuel will come into the bowl from cycling the key w/out the filter, when all is well... which is not where I find myself today! I haven't had the time to tear the fuel system down personally and have just had it sent out for repairs when it came back about a week ago supposedly fixed, but today, when the filter is out and key cycled, I can hear pump cycle, but no fuel flows into bowl. Tank is full.

From the beginning; A couple years back I first noticed a problem when climbing hills or accelerating while pulling a load etc. and the engine would start to starve for fuel. The condition grew worse but never left me stranded, I just had to ease off and it would slowly recover. Then, about a year ago I accidentally and foolishly siphoned some fuel from my auxillary tank in the box which turned out to have a ton of rainwater in it. After draining the tank completely and cycling fresh fuel through the lines and into the filter bowl I was up and running again... but now the aforementioned problem has become severe and with an unpredictable disposition. Typically when the engine is cold, and of seemingly equal importance, has sat for more than a few hours, she will fire up fine and run for up to several hours but for as little as 15 minutes before then suddenly starving for fuel. The problem at times is held at bay by keeping the tank completely full or over three quarter, but not negated entirely as she is fully symptomatic at present with a full tank and a full days rest. I have spent mucho grand now at the shop with no relief from the problem.

1. The high pressure pump on frame rail has been recently replaced (in the last 1500 km). 2. The tank has been removed, inspected, and all vents and lines thoroughly inspected and/or replaced. 3. Spent 600 bux on a (don't have the bill in front of me at moment so bare with me) fuel injection sensor/computer or something like that, that apparently has done absolutely nothing to improve the situation. 4. The obvious things like superclean winter fuel, and new filter. 5. Engine actually had a complete rebuild when problem first occurred way back when, with less than 10000 Km since.

Now, I am ready to pull my hair out, but instead am determined to learn and overcome this mystery. Everytime it comes back from the shop with another bill attached and a clean bill of health, I take it out, all confident the nightmare is over only to relive it within 15 min to a couple days.

The only clue I can offer at this point is that when the engine is symptomatic, and I cycle the key I clearly hear the pump start for a number of seconds and then what I can only describe as a flatulent belch from somewhere in the front driver side fender well, not super loud but very distinct, as the pump continues to cycle and eventually stop. When the truck is running non-symptomatic, and the pump (key) is cycled, before starting, this belch if you will, is not heard at all and fuel is delivered normally to the filter bowl.

What is this belch I am hearing from somewhere in the fender well? What other components of the fuel system could cause this lack of pressure? Is there some aftermarket 'superpump' or auxillary booster pump that is available? Is there a sending unit(pump) in tank as well? One guy said yes other said no... but I read here that this was your problem, could you elaborate?

Please Hellllp!!!! Thank you in advance as I eagerly anticipate learning a lot here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM

I know what sound your describing cause mine does it too, but (knock on wood) mine isn't having any problems. I dont know what it is either, I wish I could help you out . . . sorry
Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

well, if fuel is not comming into the bowl then I would assume a pump failure.

there are two sounds you hear when cycling the key, fuel pump under drivers side door, and vacume pump under hood. you sure youre not hearing the vacume pump?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd
Mine also leaves a "belch" sometimes when I cycle the key. I have yet to have starting problems though, knock on wood. I always thought it was something with the brake booster. The reason I say that is I had the brake booster repolaced under warranty and it stopped for awhile and now it has returned, not all the time it is intermitent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.