New cps, valve cvr wiring harness, idm, glow plugs, STILL MISSING BAD! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New cps, valve cvr wiring harness, idm, glow plugs, STILL MISSING BAD!

I had my local shop scan my 2002 7.3 F450 to try and find out why my truck is running bad, came up with PO 541, 1316, and 1278 codes before replacing the valve cover gasket wiring harness, and glow plugs. I had already replaced the cps since the truck was dying while driving down the road (pulling a trailer full of horses!) Changing the cps stopped the unexpected dying, but then the missing and lunging of the engine was very noticeable, so they decided based on the scans that the wiring harness was the problem (he said 9 out of 10 times this is the problem), so we changed the harness and glow plugs and still got the 1316 code afterwards. He told me to save the old wiring harness since they must be ok, and said i needed and IDM which i bought and installed at midnight last night (since I could not get them on the phone yesterday!) and it still runs the same. At about 2000 -2100 rpm it gets real rough and will start to lunge/jump/or buck (not sure how to describe this but it is a definite miss) and there is a "slapping" sound when i decelerate. I am desperate to get back on the road , as this is the only way I have to haul my livestock. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Did you replace the valve cover gaskets themselves or just the harnesses underneath?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, sorry I replaced the valve cover gaskets, and all wiring under the valve cover as well as the glow plugs.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Mod Newbie

Found a couple threads discussing it. Might lead you in the right direction.

code p1278, not the wiring, IDM or PCM

I know you replaced it all but you never know.

trouble code p1316

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...GwSFX2h7zLGKJw
Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, i watched the video on youtube once before... that rondieseltech is pretty helpful, the only thing I guess we havent done is replace injectors, unless I am missing something else?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:03 AM
Mod Newbie

If you don't have a scan tool that will do what the Ford IDS or Auto Enginuity will, this is what I would do. I would pull a valve cover and as it's running unplug each injector one at a time and listen for the engine sound to change. If you pull one and it doesn't change the sound or the way it runs, there is your problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I plan to try the injector test you recommended in a couple hours. I'll let you know. i appreciate the help!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, another question. If I run through the injector test you described and i get a different sound/change on each one indicating that the injector is working properly, where would you look next?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Mod Newbie

Unplug the ICP sensor and check for oil contamination. You actually might wanna do that first just because it's really easy. Next would would be pull the IPR valve and check for debris.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked the icp sensor and when i removed the wiring clip there was oil on the connector and inside the connector receptacle (if that makes sense). Can I assume the sensor is bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.