Truck stalled, won't start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tekurtz
Stalled, Won't start! ICP, CPS, FICM?

I started my 6.0 let it idle in the driveway for about 10 min. It idled fine. I took off and was driving uphill with a half a tank of gas and it started bogging like it was starving for fuel. As soon as I got to the top of the hill I let off the throttle and the truck stalled, never to start up again.
I've been doing A LOT of reading on the forum and google trying to troubleshoot. Ive checked fuses, and the fuel is in the secondary filter reservoir.

Now the biggest red flag I see is when I plugged in the code reader I got no codes, actually the code reader reset back the beginning every time I selected to scan for codes. I double checked two other vehicles to make sure the unit was working okay and I confirmed that it was compatible with my PSD.
I've disconnected the batteries with the thought that it might reset something like the ECU...figured it was at least worth a try but it didn't do anything for me. So does this mean my computer is fried???It really seems like everything is pointing to that anyway. Can someone, anyone give advice on what else I can do.
Thanks in advance
Bill

Last edited by tekurtz; 12-27-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekurtz View Post
Yesterday I started my 6.0 let it idle in the driveway for about 10 min. It idled fine. I took off and was driving uphill with a half a tank of gas and it started bogging like it was starving for fuel. As soon as I got to the top of the hill I let off the throttle and the truck stalled, never to start up again.
I've been doing A LOT of reading on the forum and google trying to trouble shoot. Ive checked fuses, and the fuel is in the secondary filter reservoir.
I'm having a difficult time finding the ICP also.

Now the biggest red flag I see is when I plugged in the trouble code reader I got no codes, actually the code reader acted as if every time it would do a scan like it wasn't plugged into the truck. I double checked two other vehicles to make sure it was working okay.
So does this mean my computer is fried??? Can someone, anyone give advice??
Thanks in advance
Bill

What kind of code reader? Most generic code readers won't read codes on powerstroke diesel's
Old 12-25-2008, 03:42 PM

Its a Actron CP9145 is the make and model. I double checked online to make sure it was compatible. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:39 PM

Update: I put a shot of ether in the intake and it started up, it ran rough, but ran never the less. A slight knocking i noticed, its tough to pick out small sound differences because of the open exhaust. I shut it down and tired to start it up without the ether but wouldn't start. What do ya think? Injectors?? I have no clue I need advice terribly.
Thanks!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:37 PM

Do you think it could be the FICM by any chance???
Old 12-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekurtz View Post
Update: I put a shot of ether in the intake and it started up, it ran rough, but ran never the less. A slight knocking i noticed, its tough to pick out small sound differences because of the open exhaust. I shut it down and tired to start it up without the ether but wouldn't start. What do ya think? Injectors?? I have no clue I need advice terribly.
Thanks!

Mine started with a shot of either also with a bad CPS and it also detonated. Sounds like a CPS to me. My tach moved while cranking also, not typical of a bad CPS but it did
Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
lifetime member

i think it is the ICP.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck did the same exact thing yours did, felt like it was bogging or starving for fuel then when I let off it quit. It did start however a few times with the ICP unplugged also (ran at default) -I replaced my ICP because of that and it still didn't fix the problem, in the end, after all the work I did and doing my best to systematically narrow down the problem it was my CPS.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:40 PM
lifetime member

could be. cps can go bad in a 6.0 also.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry for the dumb question, but what is icp' i am having the same problem, but when mine dies. i put a shot of gas in the air intake and it starts up. changed fuel filter and fuel pump, and cam shaft sensor, but got it from autozone. could it be a bad sensor.. no engine light came on, but did not run a scan,, thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.