The infamous "Its cold and my truck wont start" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The infamous "Its cold and my truck wont start" (UPDATE)

My truck has been sitting a few days. It got below zero and wont start.
Fuel tank is 3/4 full.
I added power service 911 to the tank.
I changed my fuel filter and there is fuel in the bowl.
The fuel pump is working.
I have 11.75 volts on the glow plug side of the relay.
Batteries are good/ have the charger on them.
The truck cranks fast but no fire.
A local diesel shop had me disconnect the cam position sensor and crank it a few times. He said I may have ran the injectors out of fuel. I tried that to no avail.
I am wondering since I put 15W-40 in for the oil change if the oil pressure isnt building.
I had the truck running last night but then sounded like it was running out of fuel. I changed the fuel filter this morning and now nothing.
Any help would be great!!!

(UPDATE)
It is much warmer today than it has been.
Glow plugs read 1.0 ohms resistance. I pulled the plugs at the valve covers and turned the ignition on, test light lit at all 8 glow plugs. I did not do any draw tests though.
Glow plug relay is functioning.
Smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Still no start. I am stumped. If it was a small block chevy I could have it diagnosed in no time.

THANKS!

Last edited by 1999_Stroker; 12-23-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
plug it in for a couple hrs then it will likely start .. 15w40 is like maple syrup its hell to pump in the cold
Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if you have a torpedo heater, point it at the oil pan for an hour or so. It will heat the oil up. I have to go thinner oil on mine in winter... and it is still a ***** to start. Illinois does get cold though. It is 25 out today with a slight breeze and mine would not start this morning (wife unplugged)
Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck has since started. It took warm weather and some sitting but it finally started. I had a torpedo under it for about 4 hours and still no luck. The truck acted like it flooded (no, diesels dont flood) but thats how it acted. I never had this problem before but I have always started it everyday when cold. This time it sat for two days in zero degree weather.
Thanks for all the replies though
Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys new to the site great place to hang. I have a 99 psd 7.3 as well DIY Intake, EXHAUST, EDGE EVOLUTION,GUAGES, ETC. I live in Wyoming and it gets cold here. About 3 weeks ago I fired truck up -26 degress windchill about 38 below. It started great except it bent a pushrod. Changed it out and while buying parts at Ford they recomended motorcraft 10w30 or 10w 40 powerstroke oil (red jug) year round but esspecially if it is 30 degrees or colder. Truck has 167,000 miles and runs great. Needs glowplugs but havnt had time to change them so if it is 30 or colder I plug it in and it starts fine. Until this winter never even had to plug in but I have a few gp still bad. Thought info might help. Thanks guys good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.