Injector(s) issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector(s) issue?

Alrighty guys! I need some help. I have an issue with 7.3. Its a 2000 with an auto and 258000 miles on it. I dont know much about the history of the truck since I bought it when it had 246000.

What alerted me to the problem that im have was a an extreme fall on its face doing 55 to 75 take off. I had no power what so ever. Just like a switch it happened. So I check some stuff on my edge and I had low icp pressure and high duty cycle on the ipr. It would not build past 2100 and it slowly got worse. Now it wont get above 1800psi with an 80% duty cycle. I was testing this by turning the chip up to extreme and rolling into it hard as it would go. It looses power at 70ish.

Simple right? No. I have an extreme miss after these runs. And extreme egts. 400 degrees in the manifold (driver's side) at idle.

First though was to check the oil. It was in operating range but it was extremely bubbly. This oil was rotella 15w-40 with less than 4k on it. Just out of spite I changed the oil today. I no longer have bubbles but the miss is worse.

Yestersay after letting it sit for 12 hours I started it up. It had a really bad miss at idle but it cleared after a few seconds. After that it drove fine the rest of the day until I tried to check my hpop pressure again. I did it the same way as the first. Let it shift into overdrive and floor it until the oil pressure stabilizes. And this is when it started to miss again and my egt's shot up and would not come down. I could not drive over 55mph at this point. My egts would skyrocket.

Went home let it sit until the egts dropped. It took a good 5 minutes for it to come down below 350. Parked it and left it. After I changed the oil I tried again. It started fine let it run until it built pressure (according to the idiot gauge) then shut it off. Walked inside for 2 minutes and came back out to start it. It started easy but had a horrible roughness to its idle. It also had a very large gray smoke cloud. I attempted to give it throttle but the engine did not want to speed up quickly. Eventually it worked its way out and I killed it. Started back up with a small cloud of gray smoke again. I drove it down the road and it cleared up some but still missed badly. After a while longer I rode it to see what kind of boost number I was getting. All within normal. 18psi until it falls on its face and 2psi cruising at 55mph.

Drove it back home from my ride with the miss still present. Any time it would miss it would blow black smoke along with high egts. If I kept the rpms low it would not miss and there wasnt even the slightest of haze blowing out the pipe. And when I bring my rpms back up it would be a miss again and high egts.

Got home and started unplugging each injector bank. These were my results:

Little smoke with driver uvch unplugged rougher idle*
No smoke with passenger side uvch unplugged and it idles better.

Left like that for tonight.

Final info: truck always had no power when cold And the engine was not as loud as it is is now. It has a good fuel knock and smells very rich as compared to what it used to be like as of 2 days ago.

Suggestions? I thought it could be a bad injector but am not sure.

I also do not have an AE handy to do a cct so that wont help. If I absolutely need to bring it to the shop to run this test I guess I will but I want to perform all the work my self.

Sorry for being long winded but I need my truck back. Its my daily driver and want to get this right the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

CEL? Oil in ICP connector? Oil in fuel filter? Where you located at? Somewhere near you might have AE.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM

but I had an high/low icp pressure I cleared it ans it never came back yet.)
No oil in icp connector
No oil in filter. The fuel was clearish blue

I live in Lafayette lousisiana if anyone has an AE near by
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM

No more miss. Maybe the oil change helped? I even pulled the driverside valve cover and check for o ring leaks on that side. So maybe the hpop was cavitating some how.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yuor hpop cant keep up with the higher settings. If you want to run them higher/hotter settings, you'll need a bigger hpop...T500, Adrenaline, HoneyBadger...etc.. In stock settings, if get'n high % as well, gonna need to invest in a IPR and might as well throw in a new ICP too....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.