2003 6.0 Dies while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0 Dies while driving

160K+
HPOP, FICM, 2 injectors, EGR Cooler, oil cooler all changed at about 150K.
Edge monitor, no power levels

When cold truck fires right up no issues, warm up go down the road and truck dies after about 5 min while slowing down for stop sign(no throttle input) WONT RESTART. Get truck to side of road let it sit(family goes to dinner) Come back Truck fires up, huistle it home.
Put truck in park idles fine, revs fine, FICM volt good, ICP .5-.6 while cranking(could be intermittent).
Put truck in drive and it dies and wont restart. This has happened about 5-6 times and each time truck goes a shorter distance.

NO CODES NO CODES NO CODES

any help? TIA

Last edited by Not4show; 04-07-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM

.5 volts of ICP is no good. You should see a volt or more with the engine idling. First, unplug the ICP sensor and try to restart after the thing dies. If it starts, replace the ICP sensor and connector. If it does not, I would think you have a HP oil pump that is worn out. The 2003 6.0L does not have as many places to leak HP oil as the later models, but the early pumps fail quite a bit.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnersdieseltech View Post
.5 volts of ICP is no good. You should see a volt or more with the engine idling. First, unplug the ICP sensor and try to restart after the thing dies. If it starts, replace the ICP sensor and connector. If it does not, I would think you have a HP oil pump that is worn out. The 2003 6.0L does not have as many places to leak HP oil as the later models, but the early pumps fail quite a bit.
Thanks, this is my nephews truck, has been going on for about 18 months, I just got around to start looking at it. When this first started it would happen like 1 once a month, then slowly got worse to where it is now.

The problem with the EDGE monitor on the 03 trucks is that it does not give ICP pressure, like it does on newer trucks. Only ICP volt, when it was running the ICP volt was over 1v, with just switch on it read .2v and crank no start was .5v.

I have a 7.3 with 280K that has basically been zero issues in the 14 years I've own it, and a 05 ex with a 6.0 and 140 on it. I guess I'll finally breakdown and get AE
Old 04-09-2014, 10:47 AM

One volt is about 580 psi. You need about that much to properly fire the engine
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, looking to order the ICP and pigtail now.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:20 PM

And just so you know, looking at your monitor, Key On Engine Off, your ICP voltage should be near zero. If its .5 with the engine not running, that's where your problem lies, and the sensor and connector are a sure bet to fix it. If 1 volt is 580, psi, than half of that is 290. So the system thinks it already has 290 psi, and backs off the IPR, as PCM believes that you have more ICP than you actually do.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dose that edge display IPR percentage if so you would need to have about 22% is where my truck idols and you dont want to see 85% for the most part ever even cranking over to fire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.