01 7.3 having starting issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 having starting issues

Hello out there, been a while since I logged on. Having an issue with my truck. 2001 F250 7.3 with 219,000 miles.
I drove this truck on long commutes lots of highway miles totalling 20K per year up until 2011. Since then anywhere from 10K per year to last year only 2500 miles.
Last week drove to Savannah for a new boat, brought it home, put the truck in the garage, next day could not get it to start, spun starter until batteries went weak. I put the charger on it and got to thinking what else it could be so I replaced the fuel filter and after it charged overnight it took a little bit of cranking but it finally busted off and started.
I let it sit out and idle for about 45 minutes, next evening same, slow start, had to charge and boost and got it running.
I got it to run and took it to have the batteries load tested, all showed good, shut it down and noticed it takes a lot to start while cranking, try spinning, wait about 30 seconds and try again and it started. Brought it home and parked in the garage where it sat for a few days due to work and did not need it.
Yesterday tried to start with no results, engage starter but I stop after a few seconds to prevent overheating starter and killing batteries, try again but nothing.
This truck has had the IDM replaced in 06, new UVC injector harnesses as late as 2009, other than that just normal service until a few months ago I tookt it to a Ford dealer to have the cruise control recall done and they then replaced the CPS under recall.
I am wondering what the issue could be, any ideas? CPS, IDM, ???
Thanks in advance for any help someone may have,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I recently had the CPS replaced under recall and started to think that may have something to do with the no start issue. Got it changed with the new one from International that I have kept in the glove box for the last 10 years and had no improvement, still would not start.
I let it sit overnight with the battery charger on trickle, yesterday afternoon I decided to give it a try and it fired up like it always has. I shut it down and tried it 4 more times and it starts fine.
I put the battery charger away and want to see if it will start after sitting overnight without the charger on it. I had the batteries tested at Advance and they both showed output of 880 amps and the alternator showed good as well.
I think since I don't have to use it as my daily driver anymore I will try it for a few more days to make sure it still starts and then take it to a shop that has the proper computers and have the codes read.
Keeping my fingers crossed until this afternoon when I get home that all is well. I am planning to take the recall replaced CPS from Ford that lasted 5 months back to the dealer, probably will not do any good but worth a try. I will put another spare CPS in the glove box, I think that is just as important as a spare tire.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

My 02 sits alot like you describe I try my best to crank it every weekend. Worst thing you can do to anything is never use it. Hope your problems are resolved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Amen to letting it sit. Going to try to drive it at a good 50 mile round trip at least every other week or more. Have a free car with free gas for work, so I have gotten used to using it all the time unless I need to pull or haul, but going forward the truck is going to get used a little more.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fixed it.
Kept trying it with the battery charger hooked up overnight and it would start but slow.
Decided to let it sit for a day without the charger hooked up and it would not spin fast enought to start. I pulled both batterires and took them back to Advanced, they tested them and said they seemed okay, but agreed they should start the truck, they asked that I leave them overnight so they could put a charge on them and test the next day, and if there was a failure then they would replace. I went back yesterday after lunch, they tested them and one tested bad, the other good. They replaced the bad battery under warranty, I went back home and installed and it spun right over and fired on probably the second spin. It now starts like it always has.
Lesson learned, don't take the batteries in for testing with the truck running, pull them way down and take them in that way.
This will be my last set of these batteries, I have not gotten past 3 years with any of them, so when the time comes for replacement I will probably go back with Motorcrafts, since the originals made it 6 plus years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.