Fuel cutout, studdering, will not restart - ICP IPM? emergency, need truck asap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel cutout, studdering, will not restart - ICP IPM? emergency, need truck asap

Was driving a couple days ago, decided to get into the pedal and the truck suddenly started to hesitate like it was starving for fuel. Tank was low, I quickly switched to the rear tank and after 10 seconds no difference. Truck stalled as soon as I lifted off the pedal and wouldn't restart. Multiple times cranking and nothing. I didn't notice any white smoke while cranking either. Decided to turn the key forward until the GP's went out (I have an led light installed on my dash wired directly to the GPR so I know they are definitely out) Waited 15 seconds after the led went off and gave it a shot of either. After a couple cranks the truck fired, had to keep pedaling the gas and brake to keep it running because it ran like it was starving.

Smoothed out above 2k anything below and it felt like it was down a few cylinders. I was 1/2 mile from home with no where to turn the truck around so I drove it back in reverse. I had to pedal the gas and brake to keep it running and get it up the driveway into the garage. Once I stopped it died, truck wouldn't fire, barely any smoke. I needed to replace the lift pump anyway. I did it last night and the truck refuses to fire. It took much longer than expected to fill the bowl also. Had I known anything about the IPR then I would have taken it out and serviced it while I had easier access. I did some reading today and discovered other possible problems like the IPR ICP, however I do not have any scan tools or real diagnostic equipment.

I need to get this truck back up asap, I need it everyday for work. I found this relating to the IPR New Page 0 I assume it is under the FRP, towards the front drivers side of the motor with the hinge type wire lock on the plug?? I assumed CPS from all the stories I've read also, but if that was true I assume I wouldn't have gotten the truck fired back up after its initial stall.

Brand new batteries, GP's and fuel filter - tach moves a few hundred RPM's while cranking also.

Thanks for the help, I've done some research and this is what I've narrowed it down to - any help and suggestions would be great.

- Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
The CPS could come and go.

I would also check the valve cover wire harness.

what kind of shape is your fuel pump in? make sure that is flowing correctly
Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check your valve cover harnesses. Experience proves this is usually the culprit. Happened to me once and my dad’s 94 3 times. Very common. If the connection gets loose it will shut down all 4 injectors and glow plugs in that bank. Truck will run like dog **** if at all!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
Check your valve cover harnesses. Experience proves this is usually the culprit. Happened to me once and my dad’s 94 3 times. Very common. If the connection gets loose it will shut down all 4 injectors and glow plugs in that bank. Truck will run like dog **** if at all!
I just did, unplugged the 4 GP plugs, placed dielectric in each. Made sure all other connectors relating to harness were snug and nothing. Dont have anyone here with me to move the harness around while cranking. trying to locate the ICP, was told drivers side front oil line behind ac compressor??
Old 11-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unplugged the ICP, started right up, throwing black smoke and ran like dog crap
Old 11-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL1 View Post
I just did, unplugged the 4 GP plugs, placed dielectric in each. Made sure all other connectors relating to harness were snug and nothing. Dont have anyone here with me to move the harness around while cranking. trying to locate the ICP, was told drivers side front oil line behind ac compressor??
Yep, it’s right there. 3 wires coming out. Forgot to ask the year of the truck but on mine the wires are grey with red strip, blue with green stripe and I can’t remember the third color but if you find those two with a third you've found it.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

It ran with it unpluged? It shouldent!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Yep, ran at it's default at 725psi. Apparently if it runs with it unplugged it indicates a bad ICP or problem with the wiring.

I replaced the ICP today and it wont run, will with it unplugged though. Checked ohms and voltage, this is what I got

ECSD - Injection Control Pressure (ICP) Sensor - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ

I'm seeing 2 ohms in connector A, infinite in C and B - Voltage reads 0.04 in A and C - B is reading 5.10
Old 11-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Cynic

Quote:
The pcm will just kick to a default pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL1 View Post
Yep, ran at it's default at 725psi. Apparently if it runs with it unplugged it indicates a bad ICP or problem with the wiring.

I replaced the ICP today and it wont run, will with it unplugged though. Checked ohms and voltage, this is what I got

ECSD - Injection Control Pressure (ICP) Sensor - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ

I'm seeing 2 ohms in connector A, infinite in C and B - Voltage reads 0.04 in A and C - B is reading 5.10
Unplugging the ICP will default to 700-900psi. At idle, that should not cause it to idle poorly. Or did you drive it without it plugged in?

Is there oil inside the icp sensor connector? Is the harness/connector chewed up?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
The pcm will just kick to a default pressure.

Unplugging the ICP will default to 700-900psi. At idle, that should not cause it to idle poorly. Or did you drive it without it plugged in?

Is there oil inside the icp sensor connector? Is the harness/connector chewed up?

No I didn't drive it with it connected. After repeated attempts to start it in the garage with no luck I unplugged the ICP and it started but ran piss poor. I did just replace the lift pump also because I assumed that was the problem so that could be why it was idling like that. The harness and connector look great. Short of pulling the loom off the wire bunch I don't see anything wrong. And no oil inside the connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.