97' PSD Still Stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97' PSD Still Stalling

Ok, I have replaced the IPR, IPC, CPS (3 times), fuel pump, fuel filter and cleaned the FPR screen. I ran a buzz and contribution test and both where good.

Yesterday I barely made it home. The truck started cutting out on the highway and when I hit my exit it died at the end of the ramp. Took a few tries to get it running again and then it was fine the rest of the way home. I was getting P0344 codes as it was cutting out. (I kept clear the codes as I drove)

I checked the IPR & CPS connectors and wiring today with a volt meter while wiggling the wires. Also pulled the IDM and no water and the pins looked good.

Started the truck and backed it out of the garage. Got out to close the garage and the truck died.

I reviewed the scan file and the only thing I notice was the fuel pulse width went up just before for it died. No codes. Truck fired right back up.

Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced the CPS and IPR connectors and installed an International CPS. Truck was running much better, boost seemed to come up quicker.

Then got towed home again tonight .

Ok I remote start the truck and it fires up and then dies. I restart it with the key and fires right up and seems fine. So I drive 45 miles and during that ride it hic-upped once but didn't die. Came out of my meeting and the truck fired up but then died. Spend an hour doing that then swapped out the CPS (yes the new International one) and put the Autozone one in. Same thing start run a little and die. Another 1/2 hour goes by statring/dying and then it's OK, just keeps running. So I head off home down the highway and about half way home it dies. Same thing start and die. So I called AAA and $75 later I'm home typing this (I'm only a basic member but that Gold membership is looking good now), better than my last $250 tow home.

So please someone help me out here:

1. Did a buzz test and all sounded good (this last weekend when running good).

2. Did contribution test and it passed, no codes (this last weekend when running good).

3. Truck is giving me a P0344 (CPS) code but not everytime it quits.

4. Sometimes it fires right back up or like now it is very hard to start.

5. ICP per scanner is well above 500 PSI during cranking.

If the thrust washer for the cam is bad wouldn't it go bad and stay bad (cam moves away from CPS sensor)? Per the manual the gears are helical cut which would force the cam one direction all the time.

A buzz test and contribution test confirm my IDM is OK correct?

If I had a bad injector "O" ring would it come and go?

What about a bad poppet, would it come and go?

It justed turned 241,000 miles and I noticed over the weekend the truck has a remanufactured HPOP on it. I bought the truck with only 45,000 miles on it eight years ago and have never replaced the HPOP so it must of been done prior to me owning it. It's only been to the dealer once under warranty for an oil rail plug leak.

Would a bad HPOP come and go?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you replaced the cam position sensor???
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

This sounds electrical. Have you checked the engine harness for internal shorts, missing insulation?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have (4) new CPS's, (2) of new Ford gray ones, (1) new from Autozone and (1) new from International (gray).

Changing CPS doesn't do anything.

I checked the wires from the PCM connector to the CPS and the IPR and both OHM'd out OK.

Haven't pulled the whole harness yet.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

may be something to do with the remote start if it after market or pluged fuel screan in tank
Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Have you checked the harness under the valve cover. Sometimes they get fried and short.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the remote start and the chip pulled for a few days and had the same problems.

The UVC harnesses are all new. I just got the truck back in the garage and will be pulling the valve covers tomorrow to see if anything is loose.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Longshot but you could check the screen/screens on the fuel tank/tanks. They have a tendency to clog up after so many years. I have heard this causing problems on other OBS trucks.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im having the same exact problem with mine changed cps, both batteries and batt. connections, new icp, new uvc harnesses and still scared to drive it!!!!!!!!! HELP US getting the p0344 as of right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.