95 7.3PSD Started, died, no restart... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 7.3PSD Started, died, no restart...

Title says it all --

Started it up, started real rough (was pretty cold night) but idle started smoothing out and approaching 800-900 (where it normally idles when it's cold)

It ran for about 5-10 minutes (when it's cold, I always give it time before I bother attempting to move) - then it just died off... Refused to restart all day... Normally I use the block warmer when it's cold like this -- this was one of the few times I haven't lately -- I plugged it in, and let it sit for a while. Still nothing... Repeated attempts for the rest of the day still nothing. Checked and changed the fuel filter -- bowl refills with no problems -- old filter didn't look bad -- hasn't been in long either... Checked oil level in the HPOP and it's at the top (even after sitting overnight - checked again - still good) -- Replaced the CPS -- for the cost and number of symptoms, figured it was worth a shot -- worst I get is a spare CPS out of the deal... Still refuses to start. Leaving it on a trickle-charger over night to make sure the batteries are topped off in the morning and going to give it one more try. Supposed to have a friend bring a scan-tool over so we can look for codes.

It's had the CPS just changed. In June, a new top fuel pump, new glow plug/injector harnesses (inside and out), and valve cover gaskets were done. The only code it's ever thrown is a EBP Sensor Circuit Fault. I had the sensor unplugged, so that explains that... It's had regular oil and fuel filter chanes (oil changes, too)... I had o-ring problems on the HPOP (the lines leaving it more specifically) but those are resolved long ago as well...

This is the same truck I posted about almost a couple months ago and the topic rolled off with no response -- it has some performance issues under high fuel demand as it warms up and more and more signs are pointing to the IDM... Truck refuses to throw out codes even when the CEL comes on -- nothing ever comes back stored, but hopefully this time it will tell the tale before I waste a few hundred on an IDM...

Any ideas while I get these codes pulled? It's about 30-40 degrees out on average here right now, so I try to accomplish as much as possible when I'm out there dealing with this... It's got me stuck right now trying to make a trip before Thanksgiving, etc...

Thanks in advance --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

psd

did you check the hpop oil pressure? i'm thinkin it could be the ipr valve and icp.is bad or bad o-rings onthe ipr.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin hawaiian View Post
did you check the hpop oil pressure? i'm thinkin it could be the ipr valve and icp.is bad or bad o-rings onthe ipr.
Ok -- just finished with the scan-tool:

Code 1661 (from a Snap-On reader) -

Monitored the stream while cranking:
2400-2500 psi on the fuel pressure
0 psi / volts on another sensor that I believe is the HPOP...
12.2 volts while cranking with the glow plugs 'engaged' -

nothing else to note that I know of --
Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a here and another note.

I did a ton of digging on what information I got from the data stream, and the ONE thing I can remember is that I had NO IPR readings from the scan-tool. I mean that there was NOTHING in the sensors it was monitoring that showed IPR% like the Ford documents state. But every document I saw was for 1996 and up and I have a 1995... No OBD-II - code-reading nightmare without major money to invest or begging for a borrowed scan-tool. I love this truck right up until one of these electrical nightmares shows up. The last one was the UVCH battle that turned into over 500 in parts before resolved...

I did have readings that should have corresponded to the IPR but were not named IPR - both readings showed 0% and 0volts respectively and had similar names starting with PElec?????

I searched the 1661 code but it comes up with basically a dead-end error with hardly no explanation whatsoever...

Bah... The last thing I want to see is my truck being towed home behind of a Chevy on a trailer and that's where this is all headed... I can just feel it --
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

did you pull a connector at the VC to see if they are burnt up?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

psd

pull out ipr and put new one in.check plug too.it might be bad.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
sounds like my truck.. hope this gets worked out for you
Old 11-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

Sounds electrical, check all fuses to start.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:13 PM

the IPR values are labled on the scanner as:
Inj Ctrl Press - psi
Inj Ctrl Press - V
Old 11-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PDXLT View Post
did you pull a connector at the VC to see if they are burnt up?
UVCH's are good thru and thru -- just r&r'd both sides in June (all 4 sets) had the valve covers off today to check things out. Glow plugs also test within range for resistance and Glow Plug relay is also functioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.