Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

alternator red wire super hot melted

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 · (Edited)
So i had the truck running and was just checking the fluids when i noticed little puffs of smoke coming from the back of the alternator where the red wire connects. then i noticed the rubber that protects the outside of the wire had been melted. so i disconnected both batteries to undo that wire and then the nut and top half of the screw broke off, i guess from the extreme heat. but the screw was actually melted inside of that nut. now i'm guessing a new alternator is en route but what caused that in the first place.

could my sub do that? i have had the sub in the truck since day one and have since done the erg delete and replaced the oil cooler and noticed nothing back there.

#2 ·
i had my headstuds done at ford and when i picked it up I smelled electrical

i turned off all my electronics and it went away but when I got off the freeway and popped the hood I found my boot melted at the alt and the nut loose

they left the nut loose which in turn gives the alternator the signal to output full load

the bad connection causes heat mine was an easy fix DC power sent ME a new connector and Ford apologized same alt has been fine for 2 more years

I imagine yours was loose also but check the fusable ink in that same wire if it's open it could cause issues

#3 ·
what about how that screw that holds the red wire on breaking off, would i not need to get another one becaue that screw is not coming out of there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.