Bad Injector (s) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad Injector (s)

97 F350 7.3 310,000 miles.
Truck Is throwing grey smoke and bogging down when accelerating up hills and first mile and a half of driving. Rougher than normal idle now.
Got into the 30s one day about 2 weeks ago had a bit of a tougher time getting it to start. Had to cycle the glow plugs about 4 times and then it started. Threw alot of grey smoke when it started. Ran like **** and would bog down for the first mile and half, and then it would run great the rest of the day. Weather got back into the 50s in the mornings didnt have any problems with it. Last week it got in the 40s one morning. Had the same problem with it. Warmed back up problem went away. Think glow plug issue then. This morning got in it, fired right up (in the 50s) started to drive it and it bogged down throwing grey smoke. Alerted me, but kept driving. When going up hills, and when I need to accelerate quickly, engine bogs down and runs throws smoke. Did it most of the day today. Got it scanned at AutoZone, to see if it stored any codes, no codes. Fuel mileage dropped about 4 mpg today. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

i dont think Autozone scanners will pull codes. Could be something dealing with your fuel pressure, or high pressure oil system. But 310K on your injectors is alot.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:41 PM

The scanners at autozone will pull stored codes. but there were no codes.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

then my guys here must have been retards(no surprise there!). I got my AE now anyhow.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:18 PM

I have had them pull codes before to find out why a check engine light was on. They just dont have the technology to test the vehicles. Anyways I dont trust some minimum wage part pusher to diagnose or troubleshoot a vehicle. I am going to get it scanned and tested, but the guy i normally go to is having problems with his scan tool since he updated it about 2 weeks ago. The diesel mechanics around here will screw you every chance they get, sad to say. Some of them are part changers and they dont know how to diagnose the vehicle. I have little trust in the mechanics around here except the guy I normally see. But that guy is honest and will tell you he hates working on diesels and doesnt want to work on them.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Getting back on subject, I replaced the lift pump about a month ago and the hpop sensor about 2 months ago. The problem is not consistent enough for me to think that it would be the hpop. The truck has been running great after it gets warmed up.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the excess smoke and loss of power sounds like you have one or some cyls not firing. Ever had a cyl contribution test?
injector o rings ever been changed? whats the color of the fuel in the filter housing?

Hopefully a tech will chime in.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:43 PM

I got the truck scanned today and found nothing that could be contributing to this issue. The only code that the scanner picked up was the IAT code. Looked up that and it said something of the injection air temperature (i think). Went through ran a buzz test on the injectors, ran the truck through the automated test, everything came back clean. Even after running the through the automated test it didnt post any codes. Is it a possibility that the tranny can be causing this to happen. I am dumbfounded and so was the guy who ran the the test on the truck. I am going to work on the truck tomorrow replacing the o-rings on the engine oil cooler (weather permitting, having a cold front blowing in right now.
As far as what has been down to the truck, I dont know the full history since I bought it used with 220,000 miles on it. Since I have had it for 90,000 miles I have not replaced any orings or injectors on it.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Got it fixed. The problem seem to be coming from the Engine oil cooler. Had a little leak on it for a little over a year. The only thing I think that it was letting air get into the oil and the hpop was picking up the air. Well I have no more oil leaks and the truck is running great. Put it through the test by running early this morning while it was in the 30s through hills that i was having problems with. Ran those hills at 80+ mph. So i believe she is cured of evil demons, at least for the time being.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cool, always good to hear when a problem is solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.