Changed the oil and now it wont start and I need to leave NOW!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changed the oil and now it wont start and I need to leave NOW!!

Well, I have been working on changing my oil and installing a FS 2500 for about 6 hrs now. I am also changing over to Amsoil at the same time. In order to get the most of the oil out, I drained the as much oil out of the pan as would drain. Then I put in about 2 quarts of clean Rotella T 15w40 which is what I was using before, aswell as a quart of tranny fluid (to help clean up any sludge etc). Then I started it and let it idle for about 30 seconds to a minute. It ran ruff and the oil pressure light went on. As I reached to turn it off, it died. I didnt think anything of it as I figured once I refilled it would prime right back up. But after installing a new filter, the bypass, and filling with oil, and cranking it for 15 seconds, 3 times. It hasnt started. What do I do next? I am already late for dinner with my family....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Well, I sat and cranked on it for about a min and it started finally....
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 PM
im fat and ugly

glad ya got it goin
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM

so let me understand this better... you ran it low on fluid? as in usually they usually take 14-15 quarts and you ran the engine for 30 secs to a minute on 3 quarts of fluid? and it was running rough and the oil pressure light was on?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
I drained the as much oil out of the pan as would drain. Then I put in about 2 quarts of clean Rotella T 15w40 which is what I was using before, aswell as a quart of tranny fluid (to help clean up any sludge etc). Then I started it and let it idle for about 30 seconds to a minute. It ran ruff and the oil pressure light went on. As I reached to turn it off, it died.
ummm, really bad idea! start looking for a new engine, cause you just screwed that one! the reason it ran rough and then died is because it was starving for oil, and it died because the hpop ran out of oil.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinnv View Post
ummm, really bad idea! start looking for a new engine, cause you just screwed that one! the reason it ran rough and then died is because it was starving for oil, and it died because the hpop ran out of oil.
How do you figure? Idling for 30 seconds low on oil is not going to hurt an engine man. If it did, you would destroy an engine every time you change your oil since most do not fill their filter before they install it. If the engine was at WOT or under an extreme load, you might do some damage but not idling. You are correct that the hpop pumped out all the oil and it was prob not the best for longevity of it but the chances of harming it are slim. I did it to get the lowest contamination of the new oil...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

WOW is all I can say where do people come up with this crap 30 seconds is more than enough to destroy your engine. I am willing to be that if you pulled your engine apart now you would find that the bearings are all shot. WTF were you thinking?????
Old 11-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
How do you figure? Idling for 30 seconds low on oil is not going to hurt an engine man. If it did, you would destroy an engine every time you change your oil since most do not fill their filter before they install it. If the engine was at WOT or under an extreme load, you might do some damage but not idling. You are correct that the hpop pumped out all the oil and it was prob not the best for longevity of it but the chances of harming it are slim. I did it to get the lowest contamination of the new oil...
In a gasser, i might give you the benefit of the doubt (probably not), but in a deisel everything (bearings especially) is under much more extreme conditions due to the longer stroke and much higher compression ratio of the engine, not to mention the fact that your rings were running dry for that 30 seconds. If your engine takes 30 seconds to fill the oil filter and deliver oil to the engine when you do an oil change, then you have other problems anyway. Take a sample of oil out of your engine now and have it analyzed and i guarantee you will have more contamination now then you did before the oil change.

Btw, there was obviously not enough oil in the pan to reach the pickup tube because it ran dry and died. Basically all you accomplished was flushing out the pan and none of the engine. that could have been accomplished without even running the engine.

IMHO, these engine are way to expensive to be trying anything that stupid, at least with my money.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Blowin Smoke

Gotta get those stains out

I know an old guy who would fill up his old gas engines' oil pans with diesel fuel and run them for about 30 seconds. He claimed the same thing about it cleaning out carbon deposits and burned on residue. I know for a fact it would, because each time he did it he'd have to pull the pan to clean all the sludge off the oil pick up tube. Regardless I know plenty of people with 7.3L and 6.0L PSDs who have made it well past 300k miles and never done any of that nonsense so I dont think I'll be risking my $5000 engine and $2000 HPOP to worry about oil stains on my lifters or a little conventional oil mixed with synthetic...

P.S.You could have just made the first Amsoil Syntec Blend but you lost the chance.....lol
Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So you buy a bypass oil filtration system to improve oil and engine longevity but then you take a chance at completely ruining engine just to get a little oil out? Why not run some cheap oil for a day and then change it again? Same result. Where did you get this idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.