Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 Possible fried PCM?

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Fernest0 
#1 ·
I have a 01 f250, 7.3. I just bought the truck 2 weeks ago. It had a Edge Evo in the glovebox, but wasnt connected.

I connected it today, the edge went to the screen after the one that says unlocking PCM. It stayed there for maybe and hour, and did nothing. So I unplugged it and went to start it, Just keeps cranking.

I noticed no WTS light comes on, and check engine stays on. Checked it with a Snap-on scan tool at work and it says "Cant establish connection with PCM." no codes related to not cranking or starting.

I tired unhooking batteries, grounding positive terminal, has fuel, tach does not move when cranking.

Maybe someone can save me about $900 and help me fix it without a new PCM. :dunno::please::please:

Also the PCM I have is a DPC-462. Will a DPC-455 from an 01 E series van work?

Thanks

#2 ·
Coupla things...

First, if the WTS comes on and times-out in 10-15secs, you do Not have a Dead PCM. If the scanner can't communicate either the scanner isn't configured right (see if you can set it to J1850 PWM - we are NOT regular OBD-II) or you could have a bad connection in the connector or To the PCM.

Next, in an '01, some will show cranking rpm on the Tach and some will not. It depends on whether you got the '02 upgrade. So, if you Have a Trans Temp Gauge in the factory Cluster you WON'T see that Tach movement.

I don't know about the EDGE, might have confused things with the computer, you might contact them and give them the Exact steps you took :dunno:

#3 ·
Wts light does not come on at all. Our scanner automatically sets to whatever obd it's plugged into. And the connections are fine for the plug.

It doesn't have a trans temp gauge. I put an aftermarket one in on the pillar

#4 ·
I see, I misread the WTS and thought you said it Was on...

So, yea, the Tach should rise but, not without the PCM and No WTS = No PCM :(

BUT, in the Vast majority of cases No PCM = blown Fuse. I'm sure you've looked, I'd look again with a meter, Very carefully (especially #30-19-22, there are several that put power into the PCM).

#5 ·
I think it was fuse 19 that was blown, I replaced it and all the other fuses are good. I'll double check though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.