2001 7.3 cranks but won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 cranks but won't start

So I had the truck running a little bit before I replaced the power steering pump pump, ran fine. I got my tax return and decided to just replace the whole pump, so that came in and I replaced it, all went well, filled it and went to start the truck, it cranked, fired up, ran for a minute then died. After that, it cranks fine (except for when I kill the batteries from cranking it) but wont fire at all. Had a friend over to look at it, he checked the HPOP Res level and the oil rail levels, topped them off and said it looked like I might have a little air in there. He tried to bleed them, still no start, then I had to close up shop to run errands. Haven't looked at it since 2 days ago, went to crank today, still just cranking no firing. I'm just completely stumped now. Not sure what to do, tired of seeing it sit in my driveway. Anyway, hoping you guys have some suggestions or ideas as to why its not starting. Fuel pressure is fine, pulled the filter and its getting plenty of fuel in there. I'm not seeing any smoke out my tailpipe when cranking though which leads me to believe its not burning any fuel. I'm just frustrated and want to get it running again. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My usual No Start -

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try? (in an '01, you'll only see cranking rpm if you DoNOT have a Trans Temp Gauge in the Cluster)

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WTS Light - Yes it comes on and turns off after about 8-10 seconds
Cranking RPM - Yes
CPS - Sensor was replaced about 80 miles ago
There is fuel in the bowl and it does refill after cranking
Fuel Pump runs (Also new within the last couple hundred miles)
Fuel tank was full when parked
Batteries are freshly charged from the shop I work at and its cranking just as fast as it used to
Not chipped
Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM

Well that's the easy stuff....

Next, it's really gonna be fastest to just get some kind of scanner on it to monitor the sensors, and retrieve codes, to know what's wrong. Unfortunately, it takes a professional scanner to retrieve them and the Genreric OBD-II scanners like the Auto Parts stores use don't do us much good...

You could take a look at the ICP sensor, unplug it and the PCM will set a default value for the IPR to run on. Try that maybe.

Look at the IPR sensor too (you can't unplug this one and have it run though). Often the wires there get hot and the insulation cracks and can cause them to short. Also, the sheetmetal "nut" that retains the coil on it can vibrate off, allowing the coil to slide-around.

Either of these will show-up with a scanner as bad readings.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All I have is the basic scanner from Autozone for my Ranger and Expedition. The ICP Sensor is new as well, the old one went bad. Have it unplugged now, figured that might help, it didnt. I haven't looked too much into the IPR, I just started googling it to see what that was all about. Is that located on the back of the HPO Pump or the HPO Reservoir? The Powerstroke is new to me, probably about 8 months, I'm a heavy diesel mechanic by trade (mostly Cummins with mech. injectors on generators), so this whole injectors running on high pressure oil has me stumped as well.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 AM

Yea,,, you're really gonna want to get a way to scan this truck... Right now the two best choices you have are a simple way to retrieve the Ford Proprietary and Diesel Specific codes by using an Android App (if you have an Android device) and a Bluetooth adapter (under $50) or, invest in the AutoEnginuity w/Enhanced Ford Package ($350 you supply a computer to run on) for the Full diagnostic capabilities and testing.

The IPR is below the ICP, in the V, screwed into the HPOP, and @3" long.

Are you seeing any diesel vapor (you know, "white smoke") from the tailpipe? I'm not sure how Air would have gotten into the injection system from a PS Pump change, but can't imagine what else would relate the two either...

Also, this whole "cranking fast enough" is more important than you might think because the PCM has several criteria that have to do with pressures & voltage before it will tel the IDM to fire the injectors. Make sure it's not dropping low.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM

This may be rather a long shot, but could the plug on the cps maybe popped off, or not fully plugged in, just a thought.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll see if I can find anyone in the area that has access to an autoenginuity or something similar. I am getting white smoke out the tail pipe now that I've pulled apart the fuel bowl and cleaned that all out. Before the PS pump change was an engine pull to replace the oil pan. Had to replace the PS pump because we snapped off one of the nipples on the RES. Had it running, drove around the block with a bad PS pump after the engine was back in. Then the truck sat for a couple weeks waiting on the pump to come in, and as soon as I installed it, it fired up for a minute then died out and hasnt started since.
I've had the batteries on the charger for a day or two now, so I'll see if maybe it was as easy as not cranking fast enough.

I'll check the CPS and all other plugs for that matter and see if any of those could have come undone.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Just watch the Tach, it will tell you if the CPS is connected or not (from 1/2 the '01s and Earlier)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM

Didn`t no that, good info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.