94 7.3 tried to change tune and no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
94 7.3 tried to change tune and no start

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone has some insight for me. I was leaving work today and started the truck to let it warm up. It ran for about 20 min and has been running with no issues. I decided to shut it off and change my tune to the tow tune, because I plan on towing my camper for the first time in a few days. I just use a Edge Evolution tuner and had in on the street setting but didn't want to tow with that until I got my gauges installed.

Well I went thru the process and when done the wait to start light and CEL were kinda blinking and I could here a clicking noise. Wait to start never went out and the truck just cranked, so I figured the tune didn't take ad I did it again. Same result. So I tried to return to stock. Still the same, but when I tried to tune again it acted as if it was first being installed (like the tuner had returned it to stock). Thought maybe low battery, so I thru a jump box on it. Same. Finally found the clicking was from the power dist box and was Relay 2 (fuel pump). Tried swapping another relay, still clicking. Is it a coincidence and my fuel pump went or is it a tuner issue. Of the many times I tried changing the tune, sometimes it would connect and other times it wouldn't recognize the key on and would give a communication error.

The lift pump was replaced recently and the truck has been running great.

I had to get a ride home and leave it at work...open to any help, it's my daily driver, so I have to get it going.

Thanks all.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like your edge has the issues....you might end up replacing the pcm after this....here's a bit of advice...throw the edge out....
They are junk.

Here's a bump for you. But I think your tuner is the problem. Go back and keep trying to reload the tune...it might work eventually

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 PM

You don't have a fuel pump relay unless you have installed e-fuel.

You're hearing the IDM or PCM relay clicking most likely. Bottom two on right. Swap around your relays again and give her a shot.

If that doesn't work, check the grounds, as well as the positive stud on the side of the underhood fuse box. Also check the solenoid on the passenger side by the battery.

Mine did the same thing intermittently. It was the power supply stud on the fuse box.

Last edited by ianstew; 02-24-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:52 PM

edge strikes again.

my truck came with an edge and it did this once as well.
i actually unplugged it because it flat quit tuning halfway through. then after another few tries it let me go back to stock. i never used that POS again and it ended up on craigslist for some other sucker.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 AM

Excellent advise for sure. I always knew the edge was a cheap "get me by" til I got a good 6 position setup. I will try your suggestions and thank you very much for them.

I did try swapping the relays around and had same results. Will also try checking the power connections.

Thanks again for the direction.

Jim
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Well I had it towed home. Tomorrow my buddy is gonna come over and try to reflash the PCM. I think I narrowed it down to the PCM and "possibly" not the tuner. But don't worry I am still gonna bite the bullet and get switch tuner, like from Gearhead or Wildman. The reason I have leaned towards the PCM is the Wait to start light doesn't go out. If not I am gonna eliminate the PCM being the problem and go from there. If he can't reflash it then I will pull it and try to find a replacement, but either way I will eliminate that being the problem or it will fix the problem.

Thanks to those that helped.

Jim
Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

If you know anyone with the same model truck, same trans, you can switch pcm's with them and see if your truck fires up too....

Old 03-11-2014, 03:23 AM

Just to finish this up for anyone who may have this issue in the future.

My buddy was able to reflash the PCM and it started. I then tried to hook the Edge back up and reinstall or at least insure it worked in case I wanted to resell it when I changed or upgraded. It was shot. Said it was interrupted last session and will return truck to stock and would not recognize the key on, which is the same thing it was last doing before the reflash. To the garbage it went. Now to pick the right replacement.

Thanks again to those that helped.

Jim
Old 03-11-2014, 04:36 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Glad you got it fixed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.