Intermittent no start- 02 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent no start- 02 7.3

Not exactly a 911 but can be. On 3 different occasions ol' faithful was unfaithful. If 3 times is a pattern, this is what happens. Drive 30 minutes or so, shut it off and wait about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, cranks really well but no fire. Haven't been able to remember to check whether or not the tach moves. First time I hit the drain behind the fuel filter a couple times, fiddled with tubing behind filter then she fired up. About the same thing second time. Third time(last night), fiddled with tubes, cranked several times, let off some fuel, no luck. The truck set overnight (wife drove friends car home) and my buddy went out this morning, it fired right off....About ten different times throughout the day. When wife got there around 6pm tonight it fired right up, no drivability issues and drove the 30 minutes or so home. An hour later she went out and it fired up again like it should. She let it run about thirty minutes (7 to 7:30) and then when I got home (8:00), I went out and it fired right up for me . I checked the level in the HPOP and it was 1/2 to 3/4 inch below top. That was after running. Fuel pump ran for about 30 seconds with key on, before I cranked it. The fuel pump shut off on it's own, I presume it reached the desired pressure.
Worth noting- it has a Viper remote start and alarm, and a DP 6 pos. chip. Viper has been on about 2 years and DP has been on for 3 to 4 years, no notable problems prior.
Any suggestions, educated guesses or even shots in the dark would be appreciated!!
BTW- chip is 60, 80, 100 and 120. We usually have it on 60 when the truck is started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.