Leaking Oil Like Crazy!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 PM
scuffs *****

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Unhappy Leaking Oil Like Crazy!!!

Hey guys, whats up?

I have a 97 F-250 HD PSD 7.3L. 161K Miles on it, and minute problems in the past and regular maintence kept up on it. Today I was fixing a screw up on my lock out hub, (mechanics ) Anyway, while I was jacking the truck up I noticed a pretty good sized oil spot underneath the truck. Its never leaked oil before so I know something is up. The oil pan had oil running down it and dripping off the bottom, I didnt have time to get underneath and check the oil pan to see if it was lose, but if I start it up and climb ontop of the motor the right rocker cover had some oil residue on the back of it towards the firewall, and just a tab bit of smoke rising off the back of it. I couldn't tell if it was leaking out the back of the cover and smoking on it, or if it was leaking somehwere else and dropping onto the exhaust and burning from there. I am going to attempt to fix it tomorrow, but I need to drive it to class at Noon, but I want it fixed before that cause I don't want to drive it losing oil so fast. Im not sure if I should start with the oil pan, or remove the rocker cover to cheack the gasket on it. Anyone got any ideas? ANything is a big help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM
scuffs *****

bump please?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
make sure that the valve cover screws are tight, the oil lines are on and tight, hpop isnt leaking, and any oil related item.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
scuffs *****

WEll I dont know the the HPOP is, but I checked all the bolts, I ended up replacing an o-ring on the valve cover breather, it stopped smoking off the valve cover, but Im still getting an oil leak. I can't tell where its from. Its coming from the motor I know that I can see up to that far and its dripping off the oil pan. I checked all those bolts too and all is tight. My friend Tim (Dodge Owner ) says that the piston rings might be going bad. One more thing on my mind is, maybe the breather is clogged and I need a new one? That would cause back pressure in the crank case and could cause oil to leak out of weird places couldn't it?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

what ive been doing when my breather clogs up with white slim (oil coolant being mixed and being fixed) is take it off and use a few cans of brake cleaner through it to clean it up. then let it dry and put back on the valve cover. i didnt want to pay ford 120 for a new breather.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
scuffs *****

Yeah, they want a ton of money for it, but if its clogged do you think that would make oil leak out of my truck the way it does? It leaks when I drive it, becuase my rear end will have oil on it, and it will slowly drip to a stop when I shut it off.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Shade tree mechanic

look in the valley of the motor and see if there is any oil puddled up in there. most common spot for it. from there it leaks out of the back of the motor through a weep hole and down to the oil pan and such
Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 PM
scuffs *****

Yeah, there is a wet spot under the turbo. WHen I took the breather hose off the turbo intake, there was some oil laying in it. Not a lot though.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97StrokerG View Post
Yeah, there is a wet spot under the turbo. WHen I took the breather hose off the turbo intake, there was some oil laying in it. Not a lot though.
if there is oil in the valley of the motor it is usually the hpop o-rings that are leaking. when they go bad, the oil leaks into the valley and out of the back, and makes it look like it is a rear main seal or oil pan leak. the other possibility being the turbo pedistal orings. hope this helps
Old 11-09-2008, 08:07 PM
scuffs *****

What is an HPOP oring and where could I rind it? lol I sound dumb sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.